Latest 7.1 Beta not connecting to Safari Extension

cmfrazier
cmfrazier
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I updated to the latest beta today and my Safari Extensions are not communicating back to the app. I try to link them, Safari prompts to open 1P, but nothing happens. I removed the extension, reinstalled with no luck. I tried under both Safari Version 12.0 (14606.1.36.1.6) and Safari Technology Preview Release 63 (Safari 12.1, WebKit 14607.1.2.1). I also restarted without any luck.

1Password Version: 7.1 (70100006)
Extension Version: 4.7.2
OS Version: 10.14 Beta (18A371a)
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Kush131
    Kush131
    Community Member

+1 to this, experiencing the same issue.

• @cmfrazier,

When you say "latest beta" you mean Mojave? If so then this is expected behavior under Safari 12, our 7.2 beta will be out shortly.

• cmfrazier
    cmfrazier
    Community Member

@rudy Latest 1P beta.
    But I'm also running the latest Mojave beta as well :)
    Is this new as this has not been the case with previous 1P 7.1 betas. I didn't get to see the release notes as it installed very quickly.

• @cmfrazier,

There weren't any related code changes in the last 7.1 beta. Safari 12 is going to make things interesting. 1Password 7.2 will bring along with it the Safari App Extension and formally remove support for the legacy Safari extension as Safari 12 no longer supports them.

• RogerJo
    RogerJo
    Community Member

I had a 7.1 beta 1P auto-update this morning as well, and it broke my connection to Safari 1P extension. I'm running High Sierra. Uninstalled/reinstalled 1P extension, rebooted, still no success. It worked earlier this morning before the 1P beta update.

• SpinalNeon9446
    SpinalNeon9446
    Community Member

Same here: latest Mojave dev beta, 1P 7.1 just updated from MAS, Safari extension 4.7.2.

I'm not sure if version 4.7.3 of the extension fixes this, but, since the Safari Extensions Gallery doesn't offer that version, and Mojave no longer supports extensions outside the gallery, I can't try it.

Will the soon-to-be-released 1P 7.2 beta have the built-in native Safari extension?

• topher1078
    topher1078
    Community Member

FWIW getting the same issue, but on High Sierra not Mojave. macOS 10.13.6, Safari 11.1.2, and 1Password 7.1 (Build 70100006). Safari Extension doesn't work even after uninstalling/reinstalling it.

• cmfrazier
    cmfrazier
    Community Member

@rudy I think something else is going on here. From what you are saying, nothing changed in 70100006 but many are having issues.

• topher1078
    topher1078
    Community Member

Yeah, I had missed that there was a 1Password update today, but definitely seems to be the cause of the trouble. If I attempt to open the extension in Safari, the extension appears to crash (though looks normal in Activity Monitor) as then I can't open it in Chrome or Firefox. Force-restarting 1Password after that makes Chrome work again, but Safari still fails.

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member

Same problem after updating this morning. I'm running "1Password 7 Version 7.1 (70100006) AgileBits Store" and "macOS Mojave Version 10.14 Beta (18A371a)".

• thegdgteer
    thegdgteer
    Community Member

Same problem here on "1Password 7, Version 7.1 (70100006), AgileBits Store" with 10.13.6 (17G65). Tried uninstalling/reinstalling extension and restarting the computer.

• jtucker
    jtucker
    Community Member

Same here. The 1Password extension for Safari is completely broken -- no filling of logins by any means. The Safari toolbar icon is installed but non-functional. Mini from the Menu Bar icon always comes up at "Get Extension", even though the extension is installed (confirmed by following that link in the Mini). It does, however, let me view all the items in the vault. Note that clicking "Open and fill" on an item does switch to Safari, but nothing is filled.

I have removed and reinstalled the extension in Safari. It seems to work okay in Chrome after removing and installing it there but not before removal and reinstall.

I've tried a number of approaches short of removing and reinstalling the entire 1Password app and nothing has fixed it for Safari. I haven't found any workaround.

This is 1Password 7 Version 7.1 (70100006) via automatic update this morning (which started this trouble). And it's MacOS 10.14 Beta (18A377a) installed yesterday. Beta 8, I think.

BTW, this beta of Mojave seems to have broken apps' automatic updates, at least those not from the App Store: BBedit update failed yesterday and 1Password update claimed to have failed this morning, though it seems to have actually installed, regardless.

• iWilliamsJ
    iWilliamsJ
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

Same problem here, just after updated to the latest build delivered today and then Safari extension stopped working. OS: macOS Mojave (18A377a) Browser: Safari: Version 12.0 (14606.1.36.1.9)

• cwisniewski
    cwisniewski
    Community Member

I'm experiencing the same sort-of problem as you are, @cmfrazier. After having problems with 1Password under Safari Technology Preview this morning, I decided to uninstall and reinstall the extension. Reinstalling the extension proved difficult. A Reddit thread made it clear that the now-seemingly-unsupprted extension (given that I am running Mojave and Safari 12) can, nevertheless, be installed by refreshing the Safari Gallery page on which the 1Password extension can be found (https://safari-extensions.apple.com/details/?id=com.agilebits.onepassword4-safari-2BUA8C4S2C). It will seem as if one can't download/install it, but simply refreshing that page restores the link one is expecting to find there.

But that extension fails to work properly within the context of the version of the beta versions of the browser and 1Password itself. That is, the 'Extensions' tab in the Preferences dialog for Safari Technology Preview Release 63 (Safari 12.1, WebKit 14607.1.2.1) identifies 1Password Extension 4.7.2 as being installed, but I'm running (with scissors) on Mojave 10.14 Beta (18A377a) and running "1Password 7 / Version 7.1 (70100006) / AgileBits Store." Within the 'Updates' tab of 1Password's preferences dialog, 'Automatically check for updates,' 'Automatically install updates,' and 'Include beta builds' are enabled.

Despite the extension being installed and, from the looks of things being the most up-to-date version of the extension available from Agilebits ('Automatically update Extensions from the Safari Extensions Gallery' is enabled within the browser), clicking on the browser's 1Password toolbar icon results in the following alert message: 'Do you want to allow this page to open "1Password.app"? / [Cancel] [Allow],' which displays over the 'Looking for the 1Password app / The 1Password app must be installed for the extension to work properly...' page. Selecting [Allow], which dismisses the alert, launches the main 1Password app. In my case, once the main 1Password app is moved or dismissed an additional part of the "Looking for the 1Password app..." web page that lied underneath the alert box that I did not see before is then revealed or is perhaps only then rendered: "Couldn't connect to 1Password / Make sure you have the 1Password app installed" (see my screenshots at https://www.dropbox.com/s/23ygsdicv9j0t2d/LookingForThe1PasswordApp--CouldNotCconnectTo1PasswordOnSafari12UnderMojave-1Of2.png?dl=0 and https://www.dropbox.com/s/vl609s3vnkvnv06/LookingForThe1PasswordApp--CouldNotCconnectTo1PasswordOnSafari12UnderMojave-2Of2.png?dl=0).

So now I appear to be in a vicious circle. I am sure this isn't entirely Agile's problem -- but is there no Safari 12-compatible beta version of 1Password that will enable it to operate properly? As you might imagine, opening up the main or helper app and copying/pasting values into fields present on a web page is a real slowdown to my regular workflow.

• cmfrazier
    cmfrazier
    Community Member

@cwisniewski Beta builds were working fine until the update pushed out this morning. Hopefully a fix will be pushed soon to resolve it.

• WestCoastCommodore
    WestCoastCommodore
    Community Member

I came here just to add another data point. 1Password 7.1 (70100006), Safari 12.0 (14606.1.36.1.9), macOS 10.14 Beta (18A377a). The most recent 1PW update means I cannot use the extension in Safari any longer, like others here. Opening 1PW mini while using Safari only offers me the "Get the extension" window.

• iWilliamsJ
    iWilliamsJ
    Community Member

1Password 7.1.1 (70101001) was just pushed and this version has fixed the problem for me. Thank you very much for the quick fix!

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member

It's linking back to the app now in 70101001 for me too, but if I click the button on the toolbar in Safari, 1Password quickly flashes in front, and then disappears again. There is still something not quite right.

• jtucker
    jtucker
    Community Member

Impressive speed getting that fix out! Thanks.

• cmfrazier
    cmfrazier
    Community Member

❤️ it! Thanks for 7.1.1 so quick guys.

I now appreciate filling so much more...I didn't realize how many things I logged into in a single morning!

• cmfrazier
    cmfrazier
    Community Member

@cortig I'm not seeing that issue. I did have to restart my browser...

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

@cmfrazier Relaunching Safari wasn't enough, but completely quitting 1Password, then relaunching Safari worked. Thanks for the suggestion.

• @cortig,

Yup, the thing that was compiled out in the 7.1 release lived in 1Pasword Extension Helper.

This discussion has been closed.