No way to install Safari extension in new Mojave install

baggend
baggend
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I just installed the Mojave beta to a clean volume to go through the first-time setup flow, and noticed that there's currently no way to install the Safari extension. Going to https://1password.com/browsers/ sends you to the old Safari extensions gallery which doesn't work in Safari 12, and going to More Extensions... in the Safari preferences view takes you to the new Safari extensions section of the App Store which still doesn't list 1Password as an available extension. I'm guessing 1Password will be listed by the time Mojave is officially released, but a small link on the browsers page to allow us to download the Safari extension directly in the meantime would definitely be useful.

1Password Version: 7.1.BETA-1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14 Beta (18A347e)
Sync Type: 1Password Families

Comments

• @baggend,

Try going to https://safari-extensions.apple.com/details/?id=com.agilebits.onepassword4-safari-2BUA8C4S2C directly. There seems to be some code on their server that prevents the install button from being visible when you navigate to it from our downloads page.

• baggend
    baggend
    Community Member

@rudy, if I didn't know better, I'd say that Apple is blocking the link from showing when the HTTP referer header is agilebits. If I click your link above, it doesn't work. If I copy the link, open a new tab, and then paste it, it works fine.

• @baggend,

We'll be rid of that extension soon enough. Its coming in 7.2 which will be in beta hot on the heels of 7.1 shipping.

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @rudy,

On a related matter, I can't get the latest beta extension to install on 10.14 Beta (18A353d)

• @HRD,

That's entirely expected, Safari 12 no longer supports installing extensions by any means other than the Safari Extension Gallery. The current extension (and beta version) isn't long for this world. Safari 12 will basically put an end to it on all macOS versions that Safari 12 is installed on (10.12-10.14). In those scenarios the only solution is going to be 1Password 7.2+.

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @rudy,

Thanks for the explanation. Much appreciated.

• TimAlexander
    TimAlexander
    Community Member

This seems to be more than a Mojave issue. I just sent up a new machine yesterday running High Sierra and Safari 11.1.2 and I'm experiencing the same problem. The install button takes me to an extensions page that tells me that 1Password exists, then directs me to the App Store. There's no 1PW extension in the App Store and the direct link trick listed above just redirects me to the same Safari Extensions page with a link to the AgileBits website. Is there some other secret trick that will enable me to install the extension?

• @TimAlexander,

are you ever ending up on https://safari-extensions.apple.com/details/?id=com.agilebits.onepassword4-safari-2BUA8C4S2C ?

what happens if you copy the url and paste it into the browser's url field rather than clicking the link?

• TimAlexander
    TimAlexander
    Community Member

@rudy,

Following the link directly and pasting it into a new tab both have the same result. I just end up on the safari extensions page with a link the AgileBits website.

• TimAlexander
    TimAlexander
    Community Member

@rudy,
    It downloaded, but when I attempt to install it I'm told that I need to do so from the extension gallery and I end up back on the same page.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm not sure why that would be, and unfortunately it's not something we have control over. The OS, browser, and website are all controlled solely by Apple. Hopefully they'll iron out the kinks as the beta continues, but in the end it won't matter when we're using a Safari App Extension instead anyway.

• TimAlexander
    TimAlexander
    Community Member

@rudy & @brenty,

I found it. It was a piece of security software the company installed on the mac. It was suppressing the download links. I was able to temporarily disable the "protection" and the links worked again. I'm back in business!
    I knew something was up once I went to my personal mac and saw it was on the same OS and safari versions and everything worked there.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TimAlexander: Ouch. I see. Would you mind sharing what software was involved? Perhaps it will help others in pinpointing a similar issue. Anyway, I'm glad to hear that all is well for you now. Have a great weekend! :)

• cybercon67
    cybercon67
    Community Member

I figured it out, Open Safari, follow the link, choose settings for this website under the safari tab. Enable content blockers is checked by default. Remove it and the install button appears. All ok

• Thanks for the update cybercon67. :)

Ben

• cmfrazier
    cmfrazier
    Community Member

@ben @brenty @rudy @TimAlexander Navigate to the extension page, then refresh after it loads. You will now be able to see the link to install the extension in Safari 12, at least for now...

• Thanks, @cmfrazier. Copying & pasting the link, instead of clicking on it, should also work.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.