7.1 update - Safari extension doesn't work anymore, can't connect to the main app [Update to 7.1.1]

Comments

• sirpants
    sirpants
    Community Member

@rudy thanks, just tried that but didn't work. I tried restarting Safari and the whole system a couple of times too. I think when I updated today it went straight to 7.1.1 and I never had version 7.1. Funny though that the fixed version isn't working for me. Could it be some preference file that needs to be trashed?

• @sirpants

You’re almost definitely running into a different issue then. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/457685/#Comment_457685
    • Your forum username: sirpants

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• sirpants
    sirpants
    Community Member

@Ben Thanks.

XVK-17134-533

• Greatin08
    Greatin08
    Community Member

After 10 plus? years, I finally registered to leave this comment:
    1) yes, agilebits has spoiled us in that we rely so much on 1P that when it doesn't work, we wail and rent our clothing
    2) thanks for putting up with us. as someone else once said, its because we love, we rent (see above)
    3) I had significant issues, tried EVERYTHING then downloaded the site version to replace MAS version. that worked

So...my question...is there a reason to go back to the MAS version? I do use iCloud to sync...

• skays
    skays
    Community Member

I just saw update to 1Password 7.1 (released 29 Aug 18) via app store on my iMac. I am currently using 1Password 7.0.7. I tried to update and got a drop down message that 1Password cannot be open during the update. I checked to ensure 1Password was not open and tried again. Same drop down menu. I even shutdown my computer and restarted it. Same problem. Is this because...reading threads above...you pulled the update? Other than that, 1Password 7.0.7 working fine on Safari.

• Greatin08
    Greatin08
    Community Member

@skays - either don't upgrade until 7.11 hits the App Store or go ahead and download from the agilebits site. I upgraded to 7.1 from App Store and had all of the headaches described in this discussion. I replaced my App Store 7.1 with download 7.11 and everything works. the only issue I don't know yet, is what happens if I'm an App Store user and then switch to download from the site (see 3 above @Greatin08 )

• Commandor
    Commandor
    Community Member

When will the MAS 7.1.1 be released?

• ksvasudeva
    ksvasudeva
    Community Member

I too am having the same problem. I started setting up and using 1Password yesterday so I'm still in the 30 day trial window. It is very, very sad that this has happened. This is the first time in the last 30+ years since the release of the Intel 8080 processors that I selected to use a software product that has failed so miserably. The worst part of all this is that all the affected users of 1Password have entrusted their most valuable credentials for safety and security to Agile Bits. I'm afraid that these "Agile Bits are not agile at all".

Furthermore, we are being asked to downgrade the 1Password product to an older version that is being provided to us on the open internet and not through the formal process of a revision or downgrade via the Apple App Store. Given that some of us only install items and updates via the Apple Store the suggestion of receiving these patches so informally is quite unacceptable from a security point of view.

Reading the uninstallation process, I'm horrified that to get rid of this product from my computer requires me to delve into the software code of 1Password and/or the Apple OS operating system.

Yes Ben, I for one would really appreciate it if you would give us all some kind of timeline for the resolution of this problem. I know that on this forum you're in this hot seat but I do hope that the President or CEO of your operation has the courage to step up and provide us some assurance as to how and when this issue will be resolved as well as what resources are being utilized to address this matter.

To me this issue is very indicative of a failure to adequately test the product prior to its commercial release. And I would imagine that the financiers of Agile Bits would not be happy with such a failure of a mission critical security product.

For the last 40+ years I have been associated with the development of very sophisticated hardware and software products, and in all that time we have never once released a product that has failed the way 1Password has. Perhaps we would all be better served if I were to put these comments on the Apple App Store so that others purchasing the product are aware of the current status of this product prior to entrusting their credentials for security to 1Password.

Ben, in conclusion I would be most grateful if Agile Bits/1Password would provide me/us with a clean method of uninstalling 1Password from our machines without getting into the coding details of your product. Also, I'd appreciate it if you would let us know how we might completely remove all the Apps on our Macs/mobile/tablet devices. This in addition to helping us ensure that all our data and credentials entrusted to 1Password are completely deleted and erased from every crevice of our devices and DropBox/Cloud type storage belonging to us or to Agile Bits.

Sincerely,

KV

• ferd
    ferd
    Community Member

Same problem here. 1Pass is totally non-operational for Safari. What is going on?

• ferd
    ferd
    Community Member

SGB-74942-878

• alexdepalex
    alexdepalex
    Community Member

Removing the 7.1 AppStore version and replacing it with the 7.1.1 download from the website, works for me.

• @sirpants

Thanks. Replied via email. Let’s continue the conversation there, please.

Ben

• @Greatin08

None that I’m aware of. By installing directly from our website you’ll have quicker access to updates. That’s really the only difference i can think of. Thanks for the update.

Ben

• @skays

v7.1 is no longer available. v7.1.1 addresses the issue discussed in this thread and is available through our website. Fingers crossed that it’ll be available through the App Store soon, but if you need it urgently it is available now from our downloads page.

Ben

• @Commandor

We’ve submitted 7.1.1 to the App Store but like all updates it is subject to Apple’s review process. I couldn’t say how long that will take. If you need the update urgently it can be downloaded from our website.

Ben

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2018

@ksvasudeva

We don’t have any control over the App Store’s review process. If you’d like the update imediately you can download it from our website. This isn’t an “informal” process — it is and has been a normal and recommended process since the inception of 1Password. There is no need to delve into any code in order to do so... I’m not sure what makes you think that is the case? You’d uninstall the current version and then download and install the new version. No code involved. Neither macOS nor 1Password are open source products, so you wouldn’t have access to the code for either.

To uninstall 1Password:

• Open 1Password
    • Use the shortcut to quit 1Password completely: Command + Control + Option + Q
    • Drag the 1Password app from your Applications folder to the trash

To install 1Password 7.1.1:

Because you asked... if you want to remove all of your 1Password data (WARNING: not recommended: will DELETE ALL 1Password data):

• Launch 1Password and select Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password data

Unless you have your data backed up or synced it will be irrecoverably removed. Further instructions, including instructions for other platforms, can be found here:

https://support.1password.com/starting-over/

I apologize for the inconvenience temporarily not having access to 1Password within the Safari web browser has caused. We released the 7.1.1 update to address the issue within hours of becoming aware of it. I’m sorry we let you down.

Ben

• @ferd

Thanks for the report. According to the diagnostics you’re running 1Password v7.1 which has a known issue with Safari integration. Please update to v7.1.1 to resolve. Sorry for the trouble.

Ben

• Thanks for the update @alexdepalex.

Ben

• edgrsanchez
    edgrsanchez
    Community Member

Just in case you guys are testing 1Password on macOS Mojave Beta in preparation for its release... the latest update to 1Password 7.1 broke the extension in Safari. I've tried uninstalling it, restarting, reinstalling. It refuses to detect 1Password even though it actually opens 1Password.

1Password Version: 7.1
    Extension Version: 4.7.2
    OS Version: 10.14
    Sync Type: iCloud

• KevanSizemore
    KevanSizemore
    Community Member

I'm experiencing a similar problem/behavior with the Safari Extension in High Sierra. I've tried all the prescribed troubleshooting steps and though the extension will launch 1Password 7.1, it does not recognize the app (or helper) is running. It worked fine before the most recent update, and it still works properly in Chrome.

• @edgrsanchez and @KevanSizemore

I’ve merged your thread with another on the same subject. The issue is with the 7.1 update & Safari. It is not unique to the Mojave beta. We released v7.1.1 to address the issue. Thank you for the reports. :)

Ben

• edgrsanchez
    edgrsanchez
    Community Member

@Ben awesome, thanks for the quick response!

• You’re most welcome @edgrsanchez :)

Ben

• KevanSizemore
    KevanSizemore
    Community Member

@Ben Thank you kindly for the timely update; I'm looking forward to the updated code package in the Mac App Store.

• @KevanSizemore

Hopefully we’ll be seeing that any time now, but if you need it more urgently it is available now from our website. Thanks!

Ben

• Sheza
    Sheza
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

So... the bug with 1Password not quitting properly when updating is still here, and then I find out after the fact that the version I just installed is a complete dud with my primary browser?

Can we get some sort of credit system going on for this? Maybe a week's refund?

Edit: Also I find this funny:

This isn’t an “informal” process — it is and has been a normal and recommended process since the inception of 1Password.

So 1Password recommends against using the MAS version? Am I hearing this right? You should be telling customers up front.

• @Sheza

I’m sorry for the trouble. We released an update (v7.1.1) within hours of learning of the issue. Unfortuantely we don’t have any control over Apple’s review process for moving updates through the App Store. If you need the update urgently to restore compatibility with your primary browser I’d recommend downloading it from our website.

So 1Password recommends against using the MAS version? Am I hearing this right? You should be telling customers up front.

I didn’t say that. The customer I was replying to referred to downloading from our website as an “informal process.” I was pointing out that it is anything but, and in fact is the way most customers download 1Password.

Ben

• Samtheman67
    Samtheman67
    Community Member

Have 7.1.1 version not working on my Safari either. Never had 7.1 Works on Chrome. I show no ext on Safari installed. When I go to
    your website to install the Safari Ext it say it is installed. That may be of some help

• @Samtheman67

In Safari > Preferences > Extensions you do not see the 1Password extension listed at all?

Ben

• Samtheman67
    Samtheman67
    Community Member

I had none listed at all. Went up to about Safari went to Safari Extensions from their and showed a update there
    I installed it and now working. It going to web site but I have to hit 1password to fill and it works. It not filling in by itself
    but it is working so I can get into the the website I need. Does this make sense?

This discussion has been closed.