How do I go about importing the keychain in the backup folder

anthonieross
anthonieross
Community Member

Hi,
I had the old 1Password (a 3.X-version) running for ages on OSX but since it's crashing all the time and it does not allow for IOS device syncing I decided to purchase 1Password 7.

The trick now seems to be: how do I successfully get all that data from my old database (of which i've made a keychain backup) into 1Password 7?
Your instructions "Sync to a local folder" talk of Clicking the Sync icon in Preferences. I assume you mean in 1Password 7. I do not however see a Sync icon anywhere.

1Password Version: 7.1.1 and 3.8.22
Extension Version: not using any yet
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How do I import old 1password keychain into 1password 7

Comments

• anthonieross
    anthonieross
    Community Member

The file I think I need to import from the 3.X version has .agilekeychain_zip as extension.
    I did notice that in your 7.X version import wizard under import from Older 1Password, it says to save the file to a .1pif format in order to import. Does this mean I need to convert .agilekeychain_zip to .1pif format? I am unsure of what to do and how to go about it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @anthonieross! I'm surprised 1Password 3 for Mac has lasted you this long, frankly -- we were noticing incompatibilities between it and macOS a while ago. Welcome to the current version!

You're in the right area (File > Import) but not quite the right selection. The one you want is the top option, 1Password Keychain. That option is specifically designed to import Agile Keychains. In 1Password 7 for Mac, we made the decision to formally retire Agile Keychains. They were great in their day, but were introduced over 10 years ago, and it was time to move everyone over to either the newer OPVault format or a 1password.com account. Anyway, try that, and let me know how it works for you.

• anthonieross
    anthonieross
    Community Member

Thank you Lars, this did the trick.
    All is fine after the import of the Agile keychain with the help of your advice. I was indeed looking for the appropriate option under (File > Import) and guessed that it must be 'Older 1Password' - but my older version was apparently too old to qualify, really. hah.
    Thank you very much.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@anthonieross - you're quite welcome! Glad I was able to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.