Linux + Android + Firefox: ways to set up 1Password as a two-factor/one-time password authenticator

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member
edited July 2018 in Android

As far as I can tell, there is no way to register a site for one-time authentication via QRCode unless I have Windows, Mac, or IOS.

Will Linux, Android, or the Firefox 1Password X extension ever let me complete the registration of a QRCode to set up 1Password as a two-factor/one-time password authenticator?

Also, the entire process isn't pretty. You have to manually create a new label in a site's entry named "one-time password", then pick one-time password from a drop-down, and finally scan/import the QRCode to register it. Also, then add the tag "2FA" to the site so WatchTower recognizes it as a 2FA-registered site (to get rid of that 2FA warning thingy.) That's a lot of obscure steps someone has to study to do something other authenticators do more elegantly. That whole process just turns me off. I'd think 1Password wouldn't want to present this feature if the process is that crude.

Comments

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018

Hi @jwms! 1Password 7 for Android (currently in beta) brings the ability to add all kinds of custom fields, including one-time passwords. You can sign up to beta test it if you'd like! And 1Password.com (more info here) has this already as well.

Finally, once you add that OTP field, Watchtower will recognize that you've enabled 2FA for that site, and exclude it from "Inactive 2FA" without you having to add a 2FA tag. :)

Hope that helps, and I'm here for you for more anytime!

• yokimbo
    yokimbo
    Community Member

Will this feature be available broadly soon? I'd prefer to stay on the stable branch.

• Hi @yokimbo. 1Password 7 for Android was released earlier this week. It's a staged rollout, so it could take a few more days for you to receive the update, but you should indeed get it soon!

• yokimbo
    yokimbo
    Community Member

Yessss! Thank you!!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018

You're welcome! I hope you enjoy the update. :) :+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mzman: Indeed, sorry for the confusion there. Watchtower is new to Android, and we still have some work to do. We'll be updating it to address this. :)

ref: android-174

This discussion has been closed.