Changing password on plex.tv woes

Hi,

if you want to change your password for the popular media app Plex on their website, you get the following screen:

What 1PW X does here is fill in a new password into the last two fields (confirm new and current) and the old password into the first (new). I know most sites usually ask for your old password first and Plex does it the other way around, so that's probably where 1PW gets confused.

However, since it is such a popular application, I thought maybe you guys want to fix this.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.1.BETA-4 (70100004)
Extension Version: 1.10.1
OS Version: macOS 10.14 beta 7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cryptochrome: Thank you for letting us know. I'm not a Plex user myself (though I've heard good things) so I'll see if someone here has an account. Would you be able to share the URL, or page source (via email) in case I'm not able to find anyone here though? Thanks in advance! :)

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member

Hey @brenty - the URL to change the password can only be accessed if you actually have an account. Once you do, you'll find the option (screenshot above) here: https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/settings/account

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks! I noticed that their password change form is backward compared to most: usually old password is first. I'm trying to find someone with an account though. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cryptochrome: I had someone test it, and they raised a good point. 1Password should ignore any fields that are already filled, so if you enter your current password first (as you normally would), when filling the generated password it should go in the right place. I realize that the way this form is structured may have thrown you off and gotten you to behave differently, but I was curious if you find that to be true as well.

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member

Hi @brenty,

pictures say more than a thousand words:

The "Current Password" field was the first one I clicked into and 1PW offered me to enter a new password there, instead of offering to enter the existing one.

Then, when I click into the "New Password" field, it offers me to fill the existing one:

I get what you are saying and I get why 1PW gets thrown off by the "reverse order" of those fields. And I know how to work around it. But that workaround is a big hassle, because the only option you have is to first open the 1PW app (or extension) to search for the existing password, copy paste it to the "Current Password" field, then open the password generator to generate a new password and copy paste it accordingly, and then update the login stored in 1PW manually. Which - kind of - defeats the purpose.

Not a big deal for me at all. But I know 1P could do better in this situation ;)

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member

Oh wait.... shame on me... I completely ignored the three dots in the 1PW popup.... I can switch around what 1PW fills... Magic! Case closed :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah excellent. Thanks for the update! Glad that helped. :)

This discussion has been closed.