Troubleshooting a login

Options

I have a log in which up until a few days ago worked perfectly. Now when I click on the login it opens the web page, fills in the username and password but no longer submits, (manual submission works). Short of deleting and re-creating the login what other steps can/should I take? I'm using Firefox and the extension is current. I have tried "Save new login", "Update" but that hasn't worked.

Comments

• @Andrew42: Autosubmit is generally unrelated to the Login item itself. What 1Password does is fake you pressing enter to submit your Login, so my test would be to go ahead and fill, then press enter (as opposed to clicking "Submit" or "Sign in" or whatever else) and see if that submits successfully. Ultimately, this all depends on where focus ends up (is it in the password field where we want it or did it go elsewhere?) and often something else demanding focus can give it trouble. For example, sites where they want focus in a search field can cause trouble depending on timing. If pressing enter works, autosubmit should as well, but there might be something else on the page asking for focus breaking the chain before the simulated enter fires.

At the end of the day, the most troubleshooting is likely to do, though, is satisfy our curiosity. We can't force focus in the field we want. We can just ask nicely and hope the site and your browser and Windows all see fit to comply. If the site changed something specifically to shift focus elsewhere or prevent focus from shifting to the password field, there's not likely much of anything we can do. :frown:

• @Andrew42: Given what you observed, my best guess would be that the site has changed something where they're asking focus to be somewhere that prevents the simulated enter from working. As I mentioned before, submitting has nothing at all to do with your Login item. It all happens in real time on the page and depends where focus ends up. It should work if enter does, but the site can do things to get in the way of the process. No changes you make to that item are going to make a difference. That said, if you're able to share the sign-in URL giving you trouble, I can at least do some testing myself and see if I can wrangle it into working for me. If I can, perhaps I can provide steps to get it working for you too. :+1:

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Andrew42,

If you create a new Login item for this website using this guide, does the issue remain?

It seems that 1Password submits my test credentials there, so please let me know how it goes. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Andrew42: Can you tell me the exact OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using?

• @Andrew42: I'm actually not having any trouble with that site. Of course, I'm using made-up credentials that won't work, but I followed the guide Greg linked and it submitted no matter how I filled. A few things worth checking though:

1. When following the guide Greg linked, make sure you're saving a new Login and not updating your existing one.
    2. Related to the above, make sure you're giving the new one a unique name so when you test filling you can be sure you're using the new one.
    3. Try checking for an extension update – right-click the 1Password icon, select "Manage extension", and then click the gear icon > check for updates. I have 4.7.3.90 so it's always possible we made a tweak in the latest extension that could have had an effect here. :+1:

Let me know if any of the above helps. :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Andrew42: At first I thought we might have a beta/stable mixup, but Kate is correct: 4.7.3 was released last week. PLease remove the 1Password extension from Firefox, make sure Firefox has completed all updates (in the About box), restart your PC, and then install a fresh copy of the 1Password extension:

https://1password.com/browsers/

I'm not sure why, but I have a ton of trouble getting Firefox to update my extensions too. That should do the trick for you though. :)

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Andrew42: Does the issue with the latest version of 1Password extension remains? Please let us know. Thanks! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @andrew42,

Do you have Submit enabled for this Login item?

Thanks!

++
    Greg

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ah, good call! I'm glad to hear that helped. We're here if you need us. :)

This discussion has been closed.