I have five bulbs, with a tremendous amount of duplication. I would like to have only one.

Options
chris_altwegg
chris_altwegg
Community Member

The attached screenshot shows the five names and the number of entries in each one. Can you please tell me how to de-dupe and reduce my file down to one vault please? Thank you very much, Chris

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

"bulb" as an auto-correct for "vault", right?

I am not sure of a great way to do this, but assuming you have unique passwords, using the "reused password" option in Watchtower will show them all up.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@chris_altwegg: It seems to me that the bast thing would be to establish which vault has the data you want and then get rid of the rest. If you'll let me know if it's 1, 2, 3, or 4, I'll be happy to help you pair things down to that. :)

• chris_altwegg
    chris_altwegg
    Community Member
    Options

I try to do a better job proofreading but I did not catch the change of vault to bulb.

Thank you for the offer to help, I think I have a lot of duplication in the vault contents, I will outline what I have. Perhaps you can tell me which is the better vault to retain. I have several iOS devices and several Macs, and so I would like the 1Password file to sync between them.

All vaults combined, listed at the top says I have 2,860 items total

Chris Altwegg (2 vaults)
    — Personal – 1,393 items
    — Old holding – 20 items

On my Mac (1 vault)
    — Test – 1,447 items

On iCloud (1 vault)
    – Primary — 1,447 items

I hope this is the information you need, please let me know if there's anything more.

Thank you, very much

• Ben
    Options

@chris_altwegg

Could you please check what the 1Password > Preferences > All Vaults > Vault for Saving setting is set to? Is it set to Personal or Primary?

Any idea what “Test” is? Based on the limited info I have, it looks like it may be a copy of the Primary vault?

Ben

• chris_altwegg
    chris_altwegg
    Community Member
    Options

It is set to Primary. I think the "Test" vault is a duplicate. I forget why I might have created it.

Thanks for your perseverance

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@chris_altwegg: Good to know. I still think that the best way forward will be to identify which of these vaults has the "correct" data — the data you want to keep. It sounds like that is likely the Primary, since it has the most items and you have it set as the default for saving. But can you confirm that Primary has everything you need? Or have you saved something new to another vault? Thanks in advance! :)

• chris_altwegg
    chris_altwegg
    Community Member
    Options

I exported the entries from the two vaults that had the most entries and that appeared to possibly be very similar. I created a match code, concatenating the field Title and the field Username.

Using a match code of the fields; Title + Username
    Personal = 2,913 records (2,723 records match the Primary file, 190 do not.)
    Primary = 2,794 records (2,623 records match the Personal file, 171 do not.)

So I have a Primary and a Personal vault which match up on all but a few records. I think the best thing to do would be to have you advise me on the difference between Personal and Primary (if there is any) and I will deal with the records not in the chosen vault by hand. (A good number of them are garbage and are not sites I use anymore.)

It's been a real education, and one that I have enjoyed. Thank you for all of your help.

Chris

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@chris_altwegg: Sure! A Personal vault is part of a 1Password.com membership account. A Primary vault is a local vault stored on your device. So if you're planning on using a 1Password.com account going forward, you'll want to get all of the data you want to keep in that Personal vault (and probably remove the others). Let me know how you'd like to proceed, and we'll go from there. :)

• cheeseguy
    cheeseguy
    Community Member
    Options

I am trying to resolve the same problem as Chris-Alltweg. I have a membership account; and created a shared vault (with my wife). If I move all the records to the shared vault, I still see many records in the primary vault and have many duplicates in the shared.
    I am concerned when deleting the primary one, I may loose recently updated records. As you can read I must have missed a few learning steps... right from the start; when I started with the primary vault and moved to membership.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @cheeseguy! Sorry for the trouble. If you're still using a vault called "Primary," then (unless you specifically named a vault that yourself) that means you're still using a standalone vault. When you transition from a standalone setup to a 1password.com membership, the intention is that you'll be transferring your data into the 1password.com vault, and then no longer need the older standalone setup. It sounds as if that may not be the series of steps you took, however, especially if you have duplicated items.

To get a better sense of what's where in your 1Password setup, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#TXC-94511-233]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @cheeseguy only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: TXC-94511-233

This discussion has been closed.