Open, but no fill in version 7.1?

hawkmoth
hawkmoth
Community Member
edited August 2018 in 1Password in the Browser

I just installed 1Password 7.1. I was happy to see that it now will open a new window for the targeted site on my default browser, even when the browser itself is closed. However, it does not then fill my credentials and log in to the page it opened. The keyboard shortcut (⌘\ ) will successfully do the job. This is much better than before, but not quite there yet. I don't suppose you can let us know when the other half of this issue might be solved. (My default browser is Firefox 61.0.2.)

1Password Version: 7.1
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: macOS 10.13.6
Sync Type: Membership Account

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

Me again, to report that the proper window opens and credentials do fill, if Firefox is not completely shut off. If its active in the dock, but dismissed, it opens and fills correctly. My report above applies when Firefox is completely shut down with a ⌘Q. The it opens, but doesn't fill without a ⌘\ . I discovered this after installing version 7.1.1, if that is relevant.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hawkmoth,

Odd. I just tested and I'm getting open-and-fill both from a running copy with no window and from not running at all. I have a couple of questions.

1. Do you have Firefox set as your default browser or do you use something like Choosy or Browser Fairy?
    2. Would you describe your computer as quick or slightly old and a bit sluggish after a number of macOS updates?
    3. In both tests, how are you initiating open-and-fill, is it by clicking on the website field in a Login item from the main 1Password window or another way?

I had hoped we'd got all of this behind us so I definitely would like to learn why it isn't working for you.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

Firefox is my default browser. I do not use Choosy or any other such application.

My computer is a 2012 iMac with a Fusion drive. It still seems speedy to me, but it obvious isn’t new anymore. I did wonder if there could be a timing issue.

My tests all involved clicking on the Open and Fill option for the URL in the main 1Password application.

Edited to add: Out of curiosity, I switched my default browser to Safari. 1Password successfully opens Safari and correctly fills and submits credentials. So there is something different about Firefox.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@hawkmoth: Indeed, it does sound like it may be a timing issue. Just to make sure we're on the same page though, what are the exact steps you're taking? I want to see if I can reproduce the issue here myself.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    1. Close Firefox completely with ⌘Q. (Make sure FF is set as your default browser, BTW.)
    2. Open 1Password and find a web page you want to access.
    3. Click "Open and Fill" that shows at the end of the line for the URL in 1P when you hover over the URL line.

The result: Firefox opens, loads my default homepage and another tab for the site I want to log in to. The new tab sits there awaiting my credentials. If I then issue ⌘\ , the credentials fill correctly and I am logged into the site.

Then:

1. Close Firefox by clicking on the red dot on the upper left. Firefox returns to the dock, but shows the spotlight (or whatever that black dot is now called) under its icon.
    2. Open 1Password to a login record and click on Open and Fill at the end of the URL line.
    3. Firefox opens directly to the tab for the site (no default homepage behind it) and fills in and automatically submits my credentials.
    4. I am properly logged in to the site.

Just to repeat something I said in an earlier post, Safari doesn't behave this way when it is set as my default browser. 1Passwrod can automatically fill and submit my credentials, even when it is completely closed.

• Hi @hawkmoth,

Now the request is only if either you already have it installed or don't mind doing so but I would be curious to learn what you see in either Chrome or a Chromium based browser such as Vivaldi.

I know in the past we've had trouble with Firefox where we had to disable the toolbar button because of the length of time it would take before the extension was available. The browser would load and people would assume the extension was ready because the button was available. Maybe Firefox is just a lot slower than other browsers or its impact is more keenly felt on Macs that maybe aren't or weren't top of the line in terms of speed. I still need to talk to one of the developers just to ensure I understand how 1Password is internally handling everything if open-and-fill has to first launch the browser.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited September 2018

@littlebobbytables ,

When I set Chrome as my default browser, 1Password opens and fills correctly, even when completely quit. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, so does Safari. Firefox is the outlier.

I got on to Firefox back when it was a better replacement for Internet Explorer on Windows. Old habits die hard!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

When I set Chrome as my default browser, 1Password opens and fills correctly, even when completely quit. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, so does Safari. Firefox is the outlier.

@hawkmoth: Thanks for confirming. I think you and I are in the same boat then: older Macs. Ironically...

I got on to Firefox back when it was a better replacement for Internet Explorer on Windows. Old habits die hard!

Me too! I spend a lot of time on Windows again these days though, and Firefox seems to not be a problem there. We'll see if we can find a way to work around this on macOS though. Do you see a difference in this depending on whether Firefox opens a brand new window, or a saved session? I'm guessing not (I suspect you'd have mentioned it), but I thought I'd better check.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited September 2018

@brenty,

Do you see a difference in this depending on whether Firefox opens a brand new window, or a saved session? I'm guessing not (I suspect you'd have mentioned it), but I thought I'd better check.

Showing my ignorance here. Not sure what a saved session is. If I set the Firefox option to open the previous tabs when it starts again, it does not affect the outcome. 1P doesn't fill or submit if it's completely shut sown with ⌘Q. Is that the question?

If I dismiss Firefox to the dock with the red button in the upper left corner or with ⌘W, 1Password will correctly open and fill.

I am not bothered by computer speed in any of the things I typically do, but I guess something newer might be speedier. My late 2012 iMac has a 3.2 GHz Core i5 processor and 16 GB of RAM. Firefox ought to be living on the SSD portion of the 1 TB Fusion Drive.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Showing my ignorance here. Not sure what a saved session is. If I set the Firefox option to open the previous tabs when it starts again, it does not affect the outcome. 1P doesn't fill or submit if it's completely shut sown with ⌘Q. Is that the question?

@hawkmoth: Sorry, "open the previous tabs" is exactly what I meant. Thanks for confirming! I switch between browsers so much that I mix up the terminology. :)

If I dismiss Firefox to the dock with the red button in the upper left corner or with ⌘W, 1Password will correctly open and fill. I am not bothered by computer speed in any of the things I typically do, but I guess something newer might be speedier. My late 2012 iMac has a 3.2 GHz Core i5 processor and 16 GB of RAM. Firefox ought to be living on the SSD portion of the 1 TB Fusion Drive.

Totally. I don' think it's normal. That said, you and I don' have the benefit of the super fast (PCIe-connected) SSDs that Apple has been shipping in recent years. It seems like Firefox may just be more sensitive to this than other browsers, but we'll see if there's a way we can work around it. :)

This discussion has been closed.