Add personal iCloud Sync account and work Business Teams account in 1Password Mac app

Options
lvasquez
lvasquez
Community Member
edited August 2018 in Mac

My personal account syncs with iCloud. And my professional account is part of a Business Teams account. How can I add my personal account (which syncs to iCloud) to the 1Password Mac app on my work computer (which uses a Business Teams account) so I can easily move between the two vaults?

To add an account on my work computer, I am being asked to provide a barcode or a secret key (along with my login credentials), however, I do not have either for my personal account, which syncs with iCloud. How do I retrieve these details?

1Password Version: 7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.13.6
Sync Type: iCloud and Business Teams

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2018
    Options

Hi @lvasquez

When using 1Password without a membership subscription (we call this using 1Password “standalone”) you won’t have a Secret Key or Setup Code. Standalone customers do not have “1Password accounts.” Instead, you’d need to enable standalone usage in the 1Password installation on your work computer, and then sync the Primary vault that process will create with your vault in iCloud. Please note that when a Primary vault exists 1Password will unlock with the Master Password of that vault, not your 1Password account password.

To do this open 1Password > Preferences > Advanced and check the “allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts” box. Once complete set up syncing with iCloud:

Sync your 1Password data

I hope that helps!

Ben

• lvasquez
    lvasquez
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply! It looks like my company disabled that ”Local Vaults” feature; it is greyed out. Whomp whomp. Is there a way I can log in to my 1Password standalone account using a web browser?

• @lvasquez

Was 1Password unlocked? The checkbox will be unavailable if 1Password is locked.

Is there a way I can log in to my 1Password standalone account using a web browser?

There is not, however you could sign up for an individual 1Password membership and then access your data that way (as well as avoid having to use local vaults and 3rd party sync).

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Ben

• lvasquez
    lvasquez
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben!

You presumed correctly, I had not unlocked 1Password and when I do, the feature is available to me. Now, when I go to the Sync tab and select iCloud on the dropdown menu, I get a message that says, ”iCloud is not available. Please enable iCloud to enable.” I am signed into iCloud on this computer... Is there anything I'm missing? Is a particular cloud feature supposed to be turned on?

Thank you

• @lvasquez,

You need to additionally turn on iCloud Drive in System Preferences -> iCloud

This discussion has been closed.