Password Generator not saving

Hi,

when I use the Password generator in 1PWX and then hit "Copy" to copy the password, I get a browser notification telling me that 1PW has saved the password in "Generated Passwords".

That however, is nowhere to be found.

I understand I should be able to find those passwords in the "Passwords" category in 1PW, but that category does not exist.

I know the generator has a history, but the browser telling me the pw has been saved makes me want to find where it did that.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.1.BETA-4 (70100004)
Extension Version: 1.10.1
OS Version: OS X 10.14 beta 7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Skurfer
    Skurfer
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

I also had the need to find a generated password this morning, which I must not have needed to do for a while. It looks like the app hasn’t saved a generated password since June 28th. (I do have the “Passwords” category at least.) I would say maybe it’s something in version 7, but I didn’t switch to that until the end of July sometime. Any ideas here? Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Skurfer, @cryptochrome: I'm sorry for the confusion. I think you both may be looking in the wrong place. 1Password X uses a new feature for this purpose. So you'll find them in the Generator History at the bottom of the Password Generator itself:

And to be clear, if 1Password is telling you it saved the generated password, it isn't saving it to the browser's filling feature, only in 1Password. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member

Thanks Brenty. So when it says it stored the password in "Generated Passwords", it actually stores them in the Generator History. Correct?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cryptochrome: Technically they're stored in a completely separate vault we've added for this purpose, but yes the only place it's exposed is in Generator History. :)

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member

Awesome, thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're welcome! :chuffed:

• Skurfer
    Skurfer
    Community Member

@brenty I commented here trying not to create a duplicate report, but it turns out my problem was in the desktop app (version 7), not 1Password X. I do have a 2 month gap where it didn’t save any generated passwords, but it appears to have started again as of August 29th, so it looks like I’m OK now. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Skurfer: Hmm. Well, if you'd been using 1Password X it would be saving them to the Generated Passwords vault, so 1Password for Mac (or Windows) wouldn't have saved Password items to your default vault in that case. Is that maybe the cause? You also should be able to test it fairly easily: just generate a new password using the desktop app, and if you copy it or have 1Password fill it, you should find a corresponding new Password item in your vault.

• Skurfer
    Skurfer
    Community Member

Well, if you'd been using 1Password X it would be saving them to the Generated Passwords vault, so 1Password for Mac (or Windows) wouldn't have saved Password items to your default vault in that case. Is that maybe the cause?

I’ve never used 1Password X, or even heard of it until a couple of days ago, so I don’t think so. :)

You also should be able to test it fairly easily: just generate a new password using the desktop app, and if you copy it or have 1Password fill it, you should find a corresponding new Password item in your vault.

I have items showing up now, so I think whatever was going on has been fixed. Although I haven’t tested the specific scenario that called my attention to the missing passwords: Generating a password on a site’s “change password” form, then accepting the suggestion to update the existing login. I’ll keep an eye out next time I do that and create a post in the right group if it fails.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I’ve never used 1Password X, or even heard of it until a couple of days ago, so I don’t think so. :)

@Skurfer: Ah okay. Probably not then. A lot of people install it without knowing what it is though, so it was worth considering. :)

I have items showing up now, so I think whatever was going on has been fixed. Although I haven’t tested the specific scenario that called my attention to the missing passwords: Generating a password on a site’s “change password” form, then accepting the suggestion to update the existing login. I’ll keep an eye out next time I do that and create a post in the right group if it fails.

That's good to hear. It's confusing having multiple vaults in this case. That's one reason we've been developing this new Generated Passwords vault in 1Password X. Definitely let me know if you encounter any further issues.

This discussion has been closed.