Switching to 1password x

Options

I'm looking to use 1Password X for Chrome in Linux Mint. After installing the extension I'm asked to sign in to my account. I have been using 1Password 4 up until now, and haven't needed this account. I'm using Dropbox to sync my vault between my devices. I'd like some clarification on what is all entailed in order for me to use 1Password X on my Linux machine and 1Password on 2 other Windows devices. If I have to upgrade to a different version of 1Password, what happens to the older versions already installed? Does Dropbox still handle the syncing of vaults between devices? I love using 1Password and appreciate your assistance in this matter.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Boots
    Boots
    Community Member
    Options

Alright, so I got it figured (I hope). 1Password X is running on my Linux machine, 1Password 7 is running on my Windows 10 machine, and I just installed 1Password on my S9. Everything seems to be working just fine. Is there any reason to hang on to the vault stored in Dropbox?

• tompassword
    tompassword
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Boots,

I looks like you have everything set and that should work, I did something similar when I was using 1Password 4 and looking to upgrade to something more comprehensive for windows pc running 10, iOS devices and others. I used Dropbox as well but was having issues keeping track of every device and backing up, plus 4 was very sporadic on different browsers etc. I just recently switched to a 1Password account and am using 1Password X on everything. It's so much better, now every device is backed up to the cloud and is working flawlessly. Further, I do not have to keep track of Dropbox and backup files. Now I do keep a reserve backup on my home NAS for 1Password 7. Or in your case, keeping it on Dropbox is excellent as well. When you sign up for an account you get 1Password 7. As a long time user, I like the ease of setup on multiple devices and platforms just by scanning a code and the fact that I do not have to monitor my backup files or re-install and restore etc.

• Mitch
    Options

Hello @Boots,

Thank you very much for trying out 1Password X. As @1Password_Tom pointed out, once you have your 1Password account set up on all your devices, there is no need for the Dropbox vault anymore; it will be ignored by the 1Password apps. You can keep it around as a backup (although it will begin to go out of date as you make changes to your data) or you can remove it.

Just double-check that your devices are syncing with the account and not still relying on the Dropbox vault before your remove it, and you'll be good.

Mitch

• Boots
    Boots
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for the late reply, and thank you very much for your input @1Password_Tom and @Mitch. I wanted to confirm that everything was syncing to my new 1Password account and in so doing I discovered that my Windows 10 PC was still running 1Password 4. I had made some changes that were obviously not being synced to my 1Password account. Somehow I ended up with both 1Password 4 and 7 on my Windows 10 PC which turned out to be a blessing in disguise as I was able to reconcile the differences and make sure everything new was added to 1Password 7. So now that everything is working great, how do I remove all traces of 1Password 4 from my Windows 10 PC and safely delete the 1Password info from my dropbox?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Boots: Quit 1Password for Windows version 4 completely. This is easiest to do in Task Manager, since you'll also need to kill Agile1PAgent.exe. Then uninstall 1Password 4 from Windows Control Panel/Settings. There's nothing else to remove. :)

• tompassword
    tompassword
    Community Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hello Boots,

Glad to hear you were able to get 7 going and everyhing is working great. So now you would like to remove 4 and also delete the old password files from your dropbox.

1. I always love to recommend great software especially when it is the right time. Windows all versions loves to leave clutter after uninstalling applications through windows. Something I use is called CleanMyPC and is made by Macpaw. It is fantastic and will make sure all traces of whatever you uninstall is completly removed. Additionally, it has other powerful functions which are very useful. Or, for the windows uninstall, you can go to start -> settings and type uninstall in the search box, go to uninstall apps and select 1Password make sure it is version 4. It will go through the uninstall process.

2. For deletion of files on dropbox you can sign into your dropbox on the web and access your backup 1Password files (whereever you stored them when you configured your backup in version 4). You need not worry about deleting these backups if you do not want to as they will require a master password to access. I keep mine as backup just in case I would ever need to access something later that I may have deleted from my 1Password account. Since 1Password 4 is an individual application it can be installed again later if you ever needed it again. However, if you still want to delete those vault backup files that is your choice as well obviously.

I hope that helps you and feel free to let me know how it goes for you.

Regards,

Tom

• Boots
    Boots
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks again for all your help! I have loved 1Password from the day I started using it and definitely do not regret upgrading to 1Password 7.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad to hear all is well and you're enjoying 1Password! Thanks for your support. We're here if you need us. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.