Moving PC - I've messed up!

Hi Support,

I hope you can help. I have the following scenario (complete mess I've caused! :-)

Moved laptops - Windows 7 to 10
Had 2 versions of 1Password on old Laptop - 4 and 3.9.21.90 (yes - been using 1 password that long)
Tried to set up 1 Password on new laptop - first with a download of 7 and then with a download of 4 (as not sure if 7 would work as old licences)
At the same time was syncing Dropbox across to the new laptop
1 password on new laptop (unsure if was 4 or 7) asked me to convert old type of vault to new
I did this but subsequently realised the dropbox was still syncing and so the vault wasn't fully on my new laptop
Deleted new vault on new laptop
Although old files are still in place - \Dropbox\1Password.legacyagilekeychain

New Laptop - Now Dropbox is fully synced - I can't get either 4 or 7 on new laptop to recognise the original vault in dropbox (the original folder) - should I be looking for a config file / index file? Or do I need to convert the files within \1Password.legacyagilekeychain somehow?

Old laptop - now 1 password - version 3 - presents screen for new set up, version 4 asks me to choose a vault - a new odt vault - with no logins. I can still see the logins in Chrome extension (the original 1 password extension depreciated). But have no access to any secure notes created within 1 password.

SO... Please help me solve this mess ! ...I'd desperately like to get all the old passwords / logins / and secure notes on to the new laptop. How can I possibly achieve this??

Thanks (praying) in advance!

Regards

Chris

1Password Version: 4 and 3
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90 and 3.9.21.90
OS Version: MS 7 and 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @feelingpeaky,

Thanks for writing in.

Let's try to get back to the original setup. First, close 1Password on your new PC by going to the 1Password menu > Exit. We'll use your original PC for the moment. You can find download of 1Password 4 from here, download it on both computers if you don't have it yet.

1. Copy the 1Password.legacyagilekeychain folder from your Dropbox folder to your desktop on the original PC
    2. Rename the folder on the desktop to 1Password.agilekeychain. Now, open 1Password 4 and choose existing vault, point 1Password to renamed 1Password.agilekeychain folder from the desktop.
    3. Does that work okay now? If not, stop and let me know. If yes, archive both Dropbox folder vaults: 1Password.legacyagilekeychain and 1Password.opvault, move them to a separate folder to be deleted later and use your Documents folder for now.
    4. In 1Password 4, go to the File menu > Preferences and in the General tab, select the button Move to Dropbox below the 1Password vault option. Note the new directory, it should be in Dropbox > Apps > 1Password > 1Password.agilekeychain now.
    5. Wait for Dropbox to finish syncing on both PCs. After that, open 1Password 4 on your new laptop and it should detect the new vault in Dropbox and if not, point it to your Dropbox folder (Dropbox > Apps > 1Password > 1Password.agilekeychain).

You should be all set to go. If you wish to upgrade to 1Password 7, let us know. It is a paid upgrade, you'd need to purchase a separate license or we'd recommend upgrading to 1Password.com membership where we'll handle all of the backups, syncing, future version upgrades for you in the background. More information here: https://support.1password.com/why-account/

• feelingpeaky
    feelingpeaky
    Community Member

Dear 1Password Team Member!!

You are a wonderful man!! :)

That all worked a dream!!

Thanks so much for your guidance!

Have an awesome weekend.

Regards

Chris

• MikeT
    edited September 2018

You're welcome and you have a great weekend as well.

This discussion has been closed.