To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Where is my 1Password PERSONAL Vault being stored after I subscribed? How to tell?

Options
JamesTKirk
JamesTKirk
Community Member

I've used Dropbox to store my vault forever. I just upgraded to 1Password 7 and purchased the annual subscription. Love 1Password. I want to delete the old Primary Vault on my Dropbox and switch to the new, Personal Vault, that was created when I upgraded everything. But, I can't figure out how to tell if the new Personal Vault is stored on 1Password's side/server like I want it to be going forward OR if it is on my local computer (either my laptop or desktop, both?). And if it is on one or both of my computers, how do I move it to the 1Password servers and can then delete the old Primary Vault on my Dropbox? When I open Preferences/Vaults, my name is checked and so is Personal. I unchecked the old, Primary. So it seems I am ONLY using the new, Personal Vault at this point. But when I open Preferences/Sync, the only vault listed in the left column is Primary with the Dropbox logo next to it and the file path in the right pane is User/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.opvault. In short, I want my 1Password to stop looking to or syncing with Dropbox and use the 1Password servers. It does work that way, right? Or am I totally misunderstanding how and where the new Personal Vault works.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: opvault
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Unknown

Comments

• Hi @JamesTKirk,

I've used Dropbox to store my vault forever. I just upgraded to 1Password 7 and purchased the annual subscription. Love 1Password.

Awesome! Thanks for the kind words, and for your patronage.

I want to delete the old Primary Vault on my Dropbox and switch to the new, Personal Vault, that was created when I upgraded everything.

Instructions for that can be found here:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

But, I can't figure out how to tell if the new Personal Vault is stored on 1Password's side/server like I want it to be going forward OR if it is on my local computer (either my laptop or desktop, both?).

"Personal" is the default vault that comes with a membership, and it is stored on 1Password.com. If you log in at https://my.1password.com/ do you see the Personal vault?

It does work that way, right? Or am I totally misunderstanding how and where the new Personal Vault works.

No, it sounds like you've got the right idea. :)

Ben

• JamesTKirk
    JamesTKirk
    Community Member
    Options

Ben, you're welcome. Agilebits is a great company and 1Password has been absolutely indispensable in my work. Followed the instructions and deleted the old Primary Vault from my Dropbox. At first I thought you were asking me to sign in to my vault through my browser, not using the actual app on my iMac. That one particular point isn't necessarily the clearest from the linked page and instructions on it. Once I figured that out it was very easy. Thanks for the quick help!

• At first I thought you were asking me to sign in to my vault through my browser, not using the actual app on my iMac. That one particular point isn't necessarily the clearest from the linked page and instructions on it.

Sorry for any confusion but the point is that you should have access to all of your information either way.

Thanks for the quick help!

You're welcome!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.