CLI updates not synchronizing with all clients

jrockway
jrockway
Community Member
edited September 2018 in CLI

I'm using the 1password CLI to store passwords to a shared vault in my organization. What I've noticed is that after a certain amount of time, the vault becomes unusable by the Mac OS desktop client (Version 7.1.1 (70101001)). The CLI can read passwords that have been added, and so can the web interface and Chrome extension (1.10.3), but the desktop client gets stuck. I have old data in the vault, and operations on that vault in the desktop client simply don't work; you can click something, and it won't load the details, or you can select "Move to trash" from the menu, and it will briefly hide the item and then re-display it (it never shows up in the trash, though). The data is, of course, outdated, because it won't update the vault either.

I ran both the desktop client and CLI client through mitmproxy to see whether or not they are contacting the server, and they seem to hit slightly different API endpoints. The CLI, which returns correct data, hits "https://MYDOMAIN.1password.com/api/v1/vault/[vault UUID]/items/overviews" and returns a JSON document with keys cty, data, enc, iv, and kid. The desktop client, which doesn't work correctly, hits "https://MYDOMAIN.1password.com/api/v1/vault/[vault uuid]/29/items?__t=1536266394.502" and returns a similar JSON document, though with different data, iv, and kid.

Maybe some sort of cache is getting out of sync?

1Password Version: 0.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: CLI
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @jrockway,

Hrmmm.... this is curious. It's normal for the two apps to be hitting different endpoints. The apps with a local cache of data hit endpoints that can get them only changes in a vault since a certain version that they have cached locally. Whereas the CLI and webapp don't have a local cache so they hit an endpoint to get the full list of overviews for all items in a vault.

It sounds to me like the Mac app is misbehaving somehow. I'm going to ping some of our Mac developers so that they can figure out what questions to ask you.

We'll get this sorted out.

Rick

• jrockway
    jrockway
    Community Member

Makes sense! Thanks so much for taking a look.

• Hi @jrockway ,

I'd like to see a log from your system if that's ok. Please reproduce the problem (try to view an item, click in the trash, etc.), and then create a diagnostics report from your Mac according to these instructions:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/95343/cli-updates-not-synchronizing-with-all-clients
    • Your forum username: jrockway

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly.

Once I see the diagnostics I should be able to see what's going on.

Thanks,
    Kevin

• jrockway
    jrockway
    Community Member

I submitted some diagnostics and I think the message ID is: [#YQL-89756-592]

• Hi @jrockway ,

It looks like an item with missing details uploaded with the CLI. I'll respond to your email with details.

Cheers,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.