auto save password generated within existing login?

Options
chris970
chris970
Community Member

Hello,

I understand that if I use the "password generator" in 1Password that it will automatically save the password in the "Passwords" category.

However, when updating an existing login, via "edit", and then clicking on the wheel to the right of the password, this also generates a new password. Is this new password saved anywhere? I had recently had an instance of updating the password for an existing login, following the above outlined procedure - something happened along the way where it generated a 2nd password and I wasn't paying attention. The end result was that I copied the 1st password into the webform (which appropriately changed my password for the website). However when I hit save apparently I saved the 2nd password that was generated. And lost the initial password that was generated. Does that make sense? Is there anywhere else that I could possibly find the password that was generated using this process? If not, I'd suggest adding this as a feature request to save these passwords in that specific login's password history.

Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• julieta
    julieta
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @chris970,

Nice to meet you. Unfortunately there is no procedure to draft the password that are not effectively saved.

What I recommend for when you have to modify the password for the Login Item is the following:

1- Edit the exiting Login Item.
    2- Regenerate the password.
    3- Save the Login Item.
    4- Once the Login Item is saved, copy the password using the "copy" button hover. This prevent you to lost the password.
    5- Update your password in the web page or whatever you want.

Saving each password you generate means save a lot of unused data, thinks what happens when you are modifying the password generate rules...

Have a nice day!

Julieta Fernandez

• FogCityNative
    FogCityNative
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem. Here is what is wrong with your solution. If I edit the record in 1Password, generate a new password and save the record, the old password is gone. Except I often need the old password to log in and to change to a new password.

If I am going to an existing website with the intent to change an old password (say one that has been compromised) there must be a better way.

I go to the website and start the password change routine. With my cursor in the Enter New Password field, I go into edit mode for the website and generate a new password.

What should be there but isn't is a button to do Copy& Fill, which copies the newly generated password and pastes it into the Enter New Password box along with pasting into the Confirm New Password box. When I see that the change has been accepted by the website, clicking save in 1Password exits edit mode and saves the newly generated password, replacing the old password.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@FogCityNative - so, you're not wrong about the particular process you're using, but a couple of thoughts about that:

1. If you have a password in the password field of a Login item, and you change it by clicking Edit and using the password generator, the old password IS saved, in the Previously Used Passwords section. Even if you think up a new password and type it in (in other words, NOT using the generator), this will be the case.
    2. 1Password has a process for changing passwords, which works pretty well but isn't what you're describing. I'm not suggesting "you're holding it wrong," but I am saying that when it comes to designing how it actually works, we can't design for every possible/desired use-case; at some point, we have to make the path forward something that we think is one most users will benefit from or use the most, and that makes the most sense to us. If you use the method described in that link, it will fill in both Enter New Password and Confirm Password fields, unless the page is fairly unusual in construction (in which case, get in touch with us).

Hope this helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.