Feature Request: Unlock Code on iPad

4-digit code, master password protection (high/low security) option
Hi! I just got 1Password and notice that my master password protected data is very secure on my iPhone. In other words, if I put my 4-digit PIN - i can read less sensitive data (ie. driver's license, freq flyer miles) and occasionally (20% of the time) put in my master password when I need to unlock banking information for example.

I like the 2 level password scheme I experience on my iPhone.

However, on the iPad (and the Mac OS X) client, I only use my master password and it exposes all my information even if all i need is a driver's license #.

Do you have plans to preserve the 2-level password scheme on the iPad and the mac? it's really useful!

Comments

• chinarut wrote:

Do you have plans to preserve the 2-level password scheme on the iPad and the mac? it's really useful!

With 1Password for iPad, we tried to mimic the Mac version more than the iPhone version, and you'll notice that it behaves much more like the Mac version in many ways, one of which is the unlocking scheme. Since you can set a strong master password to get in, there's no need to have a second layer. With 1Password for iPhone, where you typically just use your thumb and are likely more on-the-go, the unlock code layer was added in front to allow partial access to some things. This implementation is something we are not currently planning to bring to iPad and desktop versions.
  • RobYoder wrote:
    the unlock code layer was added in front to allow partial access to some things.

ah yes - "partial access" is really nice. I would prefer not to have the most sensitive parts of my database exposed while I'm browsing around on the iPad or the desktop. I understand you have no plans and would love it if you could help us reduce this risk.

thanks!
  • chinarut wrote:

ah yes - "partial access" is really nice. I would prefer not to have the most sensitive parts of my database exposed while I'm browsing around on the iPad or the desktop. I understand you have no plans and would love it if you could help us reduce this risk.

Well, here are some tips to help you with that:

1) Make sure you keep your passwords concealed on your Mac and iPad. On the Mac, you can get a quick peek at a password by holding down the Option key, so there's not much reason to leave your passwords exposed.
    2) On your iPad, go to Settings > Security > Auto-Lock, and turn on the switch to "Lock when Inactive." That will keep someone else from getting in right after you turn off the screen.
    3) On your Mac, go to 1Password > Preferences > Security, and make sure the first four checkboxes are checked and that you have a reasonable time limit in the "Lock after _ minutes" box. By disabling automatic unlock for 1Password, you'll keep someone from being able to open 1Password on your Mac just because you unlocked it in your browser. You can get more details about 1Password's security preferences here in our user guide.
  • RobYoder wrote:

1) Make sure you keep your passwords concealed on your Mac and iPad.

ah - i wasn't being specific - the issue is with my notes - they are just exposed without having to "unconceal" them.

RobYoder wrote:

On the Mac, you can get a quick peek at a password by holding down the Option key, so there's not much reason to leave your passwords exposed.

great tip - i didn't know that on the mac!

RobYoder wrote:

3) On your Mac, go to 1Password > Preferences > Security, and make sure the first four checkboxes are checked and that you have a reasonable time limit in the "Lock after _ minutes" box.

i just filed a bug report. it doesn't timeout after 1 minute for some reason - it works on my friends iMac (same versions, etc) so i'm a bit puzzled.

thanks for the support!
  • chinarut wrote:

i just filed a bug report. it doesn't timeout after 1 minute for some reason - it works on my friends iMac (same versions, etc) so i'm a bit puzzled.

I replied to your email Chinarut, but for the future reference of anyone else reading this, 1Password's auto-lock time measures *computer* inactivity, not *1Password* inactivity. This means that if you switch to another application and continue using the computer, 1Password will not auto-lock.
  • sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    RobYoder wrote:

1Password's auto-lock time measures *computer* inactivity, not *1Password* inactivity. This means that if you switch to another application and continue using the computer, 1Password will not auto-lock.

Related topic:

Security question with 'Lock after [X] minutes of inactivity'
  • sjk wrote:

Thanks for linking that, sjk!
  • I have seen this feature requested and I have to say it would be nice. I understand your explanation of being able to have a much stronger password on the iPad vs the iPhone but it is still a portable device and 1Password has a lot of private information enclosed. I have read through all your postings regarding this feature request and regardless I would still like for this to be an option. I would bet if you took a poll you would get more people than you realize who would want this feature.

Thank you!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, James! I have merged your post with the appropriate thread.

We really appreciate the feedback. Thanks for letting us know you would like to see an unlock code added to the iPad app as well. We will see what the future holds. :-)
  • bobmhac
    edited February 2011
    James211 wrote:

I have seen this feature requested and I have to say it would be nice. I understand your explanation of being able to have a much stronger password on the iPad vs the iPhone but it is still a portable device and 1Password has a lot of private information enclosed. I have read through all your postings regarding this feature request and regardless I would still like for this to be an option. I would bet if you took a poll you would get more people than you realize who would want this feature.

Thank you!

Seconded, and thirded. Come on guys, this is a universal app now, and looks and feels a lot different than the iPhone version. You need to realize that unlike the Mac most people can't touch type on the iPad as well. I purchased 1password so I could log into some trivial websites easier, and since I discovered the two layer security on my iPhone, decided to use it for more. Now what you're telling me is you want to leave out features for the iPad version to keep it in line with another product. Guess what guys, I don't have a Mac, and I don't plan on using the desktop version! So I don't much care if it feels like a product I'm not interested in. Also note, the iOS is a mobile OS, both for the iPad and iPhone. The built in security, a four digit code, is the same for both devices.

Please don't sacrifice function unnecessarily over form.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I think it has less to do with aping the Mac version and more to do with what works best on each platform. Perhaps you disagree with our initial decision, but we are still discussing this internally. Just as an example, I would personally prefer to eliminate the unlock code on the iPhone. All of my items are protected by my master password and I can type fast enough that I wouldn't mind. :-) (I don't think that is likely to ever happen, though.)

There are many different ways in which people use 1Password, so thanks for letting us know you would like to see an unlock code in 1Password on the iPad! I have passed this along to the rest of the team for further consideration.
  • Thanks for the consideration! I'm glad you guys have an ear to your user base. It's always frustrating when it appears requests and feedback for a popular product seem to enter a black hole.

Now if we could just get Apple to have that kind of flexibility. ;)
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Fingers crossed!
  • My master password is a very random password for maximum security. I am the only one who uses my Mac so my user account password is enough to secure it. However, I am often sharing my iPad with others and would appreciate having the 4 digit pin like I have on my iPhone. I often use my iPad for quick access to secure notes and having to type in my really long master password each time is not feasible and having a short master password would not make me feel secure. Please add my vote to including this feature.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the feedback, Jason!
  • Hi, I would also like a unlock code on the iPad (universial, Pro) version as for me the master password has to be secure and a secure password is in most cases not good to type on an iOS device, no matter if its on the iPhone or on the iPad. But getting not-so-sensitive information like forum accounts is the main thing I do with 1password on my iPad and I tend to skip using 1password when I think "oh, I have to provide the long password...".
  • TIL you don't have to have the same master password on your iPad and your desktop. I have set a master password for my iPad that I can type in a reasonable amount of time and still have a super strong password for what is stored on dropbox and used on the desktop.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Aha! Very good point. Not everyone knows this. Thank you for mentioning it in this thread!

Your Master Password does not have to be the same between 1Password for Mac/Windows and your 1Password iOS app(s). Many users like to have a less-complicated one for 1Password iOS apps because of the interaction using the much smaller virtual keyboard. Because they do not have to be the same, they are never synced from one device/platform to another.
  • Proud owner and user of 1Password for Mac, Phone and iPad --- BRILLIANT APP - thankyou.

I am synching with Dropbox - all is working just fine.

BUT

behavior of the iPad app is closer to that of Mac than of iPhone in that I have to enter the full very long complicated master password on the iPad and Mac to get to the password I need - on my iPhone I have a 4 digit pin - and then record by record I can either protect or not protect the password with the full master password or not

thus for common apps i need - i have reduced security - but on the more sensitive accounts - it is still tied down.

is there a way that i can set the iPad to have behavior like iPhone - cos at moment - entering the full on master password every time is a total pain - but i don't want to simplify it - cos that will defeat the purpose ...

thanks
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, Fractals! I have merged your post with the appropriate thread. Please see above and let me know if you have any additional questions or comments. This is something that you can see a few other people are interested in as well. Thanks for letting us know you are interested in it as well. :-)

Cheers,
  • CurbedEnthusiasm
    CurbedEnthusiasm
    Community Member
    Hi Agile,

Just wanted to ask a question regarding the 4-digit PIN feature of the 1Password App and iPad App. I can't seem to see where/how to enable this? For example, I have set a test login on my 1Password for Windows app to "Low Security" but how does this work on the iPad app exactly? Nothing seems to change...I don't get a PIN prompt, I can't see settings to set a PIN prompt, and once I enter my access password, I get access to the login entry anyway. I am not seeing the point? What am I missing?

Also, as a very nitpicky thing, thought I'd just mention that in the 1Password application the label reads: 'iPhone Security'. It'd be nice to see 'iOS Security' or 'iPhone/iPad Security'. Yes, I am that nitpicky ;);)
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Hey, CurbedEnthusiasm, I have merged your post with the appropriate feature request thread. Please see above and let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. Thanks for the feedback!
  • Piggy
    Piggy
    Community Member
    Please add this capability to the iPad version so it matches iPhone version. You will need to add option to set security level. I find it frustrating to keep requesting parity among 1P versions for security related features. I feel this should be a priority. I understand the Windows version is way behind, but not Mac/iPhone/iPad versions.

Other things that don't match:

Settings > Data on iPad is named Settings > Database on iPhone.
    Settings > Display > Show All Login Fields exists on iPad but not iPhone.

iPad Edit, Done and Cancel buttons don't stand out. Need beveled edges, color, or something so they are more prominent.

Thank you.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the feedback, Piggy. I have merged your post with the appropriate thread. Please see the (rather lengthy) discussion above. :-)

We are working on some major improvements to our mobile apps right now and really appreciate your input.

Thanks!
  • Solos
    Solos
    Community Member
    Hello,

I've just bought 1Password for iPad after using it for a while on iPhone and I noticed that there is no unlock code in iPad version. I've happily found this thread and would like to add +1 to unlock code request on iPad :) Hope we'll see it soon. It's extremely useful - even on iPad.
  • AndrewBaldwin
    AndrewBaldwin
    Community Member
    I wanted to just quickly add a vote for khad's unlikely-to-ever-happen option. I would like to have the option to use my master password only, especially since I have to use it essentially every time I'm using the app anyways. That is, all my passwords are 'high security' and I very, very rarely need just the information that is available when an item is still locked.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Hey Andrew,

Right now 1Password on the iPad is, in fact, protected by only your master password. There is no unlock code on the iPad.

Did you mean to post this in a different thread (or start a new one like "Feature Request: Disable Unlock Code on iPhone")? The good news is that you needn't create that thread. :-)

You can already essentially disable the unlock code in 1Password on the iPhone:

1Password > Settings > Security > [Unlock Code] Auto-Lock > Never

You will still need to enter the unlock code when you first start the app, but the unlock code will not auto-lock after that.

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

Cheers,
This discussion has been closed.