1Password 7.2.580 Beta 1 is out with performance improvements and bug fixes [Released as stable now]

Hi guys,

We've just released a small update to help with some of the performance issues reported while we continue to work on the larger 1Password 7.3 update.

If you've had to downgrade to 1Password 7.1 because 1Password was taking a bit too long to settle down after the unlock, please try this beta update now, it should help.

Changelog

[IMPROVED] 1Password now performs its proxy detection in a separate thread to avoid interfering with the main interface. {OPW-2379}
[IMPROVED] To help with debugging, 1Password will now include a timestamped log of each item change and for which vault; no private data is recorded, only the item's ID and its vault IDs. {OPW-2380}
[FIXED] When updating items in standalone vaults, 1Password would perform redundant updates to its local database that is no longer required, this should improve the performance. {OPW-2377}
[FIXED] Clicking the edit button should be faster now. {OPW-2384}
[FIXED] In a rare condition, 1Password didn't migrate the account ID correctly when upgrading an old 1Password 6 database to the 7th version due to the 1Password account having since enabled its Two-Factor Authentication. {OPW-2373}
[FIXED] 1Password now stops the animation when its window is not the frontmost window. {OPW-2189}
[FIXED] When backing up standalone vaults, 1Password would create and include an extra zero-byte file called default but the default folder was already backed up, there was no need for this file anymore. {OPW-1115}

Helpful links:

How to enable beta updates
Direct download link

Comments

• Supertramp
    Supertramp
    Community Member

thank you guys for the update, it is so fast now!

• That's great to hear! Thanks for letting us know.

• SFC
    SFC
    Community Member

^^I'd agree, all the issues with long delays after unlocking the database are gone. I can once again instantly get to a password just like the first 7.x releases and the mac version of 1pw.

• Immo
    Immo
    Community Member

Agreed -much much better (unlocking takes about 5 seconds for me). Thanks for fixing this!

• 😃 Thank you guys, that's really good to hear.

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member

Also seems to be excellent on fresh start on a new day. After initial unlocking (no real wait I could see), was able to grab/fill a password in the first seconds, which, of course is a radical change. :chuffed:

Great work, guys, worth waiting for!

• I'm glad to hear that, thanks again!

• Tetryl91
    Tetryl91
    Community Member

Early impressions seem good. Much faster at filling and UI is way more responsive right after unlocking.

• 👍 We're also excited about other changes we're making for the near future that'll improve the performance.

• mmozzano
    mmozzano
    Community Member

Installed a few mins ago and it seems much better, will continue using over the next few days but initial thoughts are its looking good!

• @MikeT is the pop up window filling feature still on the radar somewhere? (Talking about the one from 1pw4) https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/89388/why-upgrade-from-1password-4-to-7 referenced there

• Hi guys,

Great, we are aiming to ship this to the stable channel on Monday.

@yelladog_superjet,

is the pop up window filling feature still on the radar somewhere?

Yes, we still plan to implement the Auto-Type feature but there is no timeframe on this, it is not the focus for the next update is what I can confirm. Right now, the very bare-boned implementation of it is already there via Type in Window. You focus the username in the app window, bring up 1Password mini on top of the app (Control + Alt + \), right-click on the item you want, expand the username menu to select the app window, it'll type it in. You then tab to the password and repeat the process. We will evolve this to automate for both fields and then support updating Login items to support auto-filling in specific app window.

Unfortunately, there are some current limitations to Type in Window, it doesn't recognize Microsoft Store apps and windows that hides when you de-focus it. Both are something we'll look into as we continue to evolve this feature.

• ma7ciba
    ma7ciba
    Community Member
    edited September 2018

_Really fast, _we waited about 30 seconds for "finding" a login in v7 before this beta update. And now, no delays! Nice! But saving a new login still needs some seconds but thats even much faster than before. Saves a lot of time!

• Hi @ma7ciba,

😸 I'm glad to hear it is fast for you now. The saving delay is not something we've optimized yet as that's coming later in the larger update, hopefully in 1Password 7.3.

Right now, when you save, it goes into the database, Watchtower checks for any vulnerabilities, and it then writes out to your external vault file (entire vault at once) on disk or upload to 1Password.com if you're using that, and all of that is done at the same time before the UI updates. So, you can imagine why it struggles a bit. In each 1Password update, we're rebuilding one area at a time to be more isolated and more controlled, so that we can tell it to do one thing at a time or queue if the CPU/interface is too busy.

We have a big improvement we can make for saving to standalone vaults that'll make it really fast, just one step at a time.

• ma7ciba
    ma7ciba
    Community Member

_This question is off-topic, _but do you have any information if hardware 2FA devices (Yubikeys, etc.) can be used in the future releases of 1Passsword for Windows (we dont use 1password.com) for syncing? Just send me a link if you have more information on that feature. Thanks! Marc

• Hi @ma7ciba,

At this moment, there is no plan for that with standalone vaults. We kind of support it for 1Password.com accounts with this guide.

Keep in mind that we use encryption with your vault data, not authentication. 2FA is an authentication method and that's hard to do with the regular vault files stored on your drive.

If you're syncing with an sync service, you'd want to enable 2FA/Yubikey with that service if they have it.

• drclvs
    drclvs
    Community Member

This new version works so much better and faster. Thank you 1PassWord team for improving the user experience for everyone.

• You're welcome! We have more performance improvements coming in the larger 1Password 7.3 update that we've been working on.

• Hi guys,

We've shipped 1Password 7.3 beta 1 with more performance improvements for standalone vaults, please give a try and let us know how it works out.

That isn't the last of the improvements, we still more planned changes coming, including for 1Password accounts.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@yelladog_superjet: Auto-Type? Yeah, that's a feature we'll be adding in a future update. I'll close this discussion though since it's from so long ago that we've released a number of new versions since then. :)

This discussion has been closed.