Data Loss after auto-convertion to new chain format

Barky
Barky
Community Member

Yesterday when accessing 1Password Pro on Android I've got a message that the keychain is being converted to a new format. It took about three minutes. After that in the Accounts Category 43 of 45 Items is completely gone. That category has also been renamed in the German language from "Accounts" to "E-Mail-Konten". The 2 items left there two Google Email Accounts. 43 Items of the Type "Generic Account" is gone. It included very important data!

Since I'm using Dropbox to sync I ran to my desktop to see what happened there. 1Password 4.6.2.626 was not responding there. After a while it was empty. The \Dropbox\Apps\1PassWord\1Password.agilekeychain folder where the data was stored is gone. After opening the folder that was probably created by the auto-convertion on Android \Dropbox\Apps\1PassWord\1Password.opvault the database loaded, but as on Android, 43 Generic Account Items are gone! I see there is now also \Dropbox\Apps\1PassWord\1Password.legacyagilekeychain which is hopefully the data in the old format, without the data loss, but if I try to open it I get a message that it's not a 1Password fault. How to access it?

I have been using 1Password for 10 years, without any data loss, and now this!

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Barky,

Thank you for reporting this!

We do apologize about this situation with the conversion on Android. The thing is that .agilekeychain is an format of 1Password vaults, so it is no longer supported in 1Password 7 for Android or 1Password 7 for Windows.

Our Android team did make sure conversion works well and it does for the majority of our users but we found later that there were older versions of the AgileKeychain that were not converted properly. We've been updating Android app with more fixes to our conversion as we hear and test about these vaults. In the meantime, please try to do the following:

1) Open 1Password folder in your Dropbox and find your .legacyagilekeychain there.

2) Copy it to your desktop (it will serve as a backup).

3) After that, rename your 1Password.legacyagilekeychain file to 1Password.agilekeychain and save it.

4) Open this vault in 1Password 4 for Windows.

Do you see your data after that? Please confirm. I will provide you with further instructions after that. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• Barky
    Barky
    Community Member
    edited September 2018

I have renamed 1Password.legacyagilekeychain folder to 1Password.agilekeychain, and now it opens without an error. Also, all the data is still here. On a second look I see that not only the Generic Account Type is lost on Android, but also the FTP Account data type.

edit:

On Logins 1333 of 1336 items have been converted, so there is also a data loss of 3 logins.

• Barky
    Barky
    Community Member

How do I get my FTP and Generic Accounts back on Andoid and iOS?

• Hi @barky,

They're converted to Logins as they've been phased out many years ago. You'll find them in the Logins category now.

I'll move this to our Android forum as they'll help with the conversion issues, I believe they're working on a few category templates that were not converted properly due to their age.

This discussion has been closed.