Limit Search To Current Site

I have a lot of passwords for certain sites, such as Google. When using the browser plugin, I used to be able to use the search field to filter and find the login I wished to use. With the latest major version, search now searches ALL logins, not just the site on on. Is there a way to change this?

For example, if I want to log into my Gmail account, I would use search to limit the choices to just my "mashby" account. With the way it works now, typing in "mashby" shows me any login on any site where I used "mashby".

1Password Version: 7.1.2
Extension Version: 4.7.3
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I have a lot of passwords for certain sites, such as Google. When using the browser plugin, I used to be able to use the search field to filter and find the login I wished to use. With the latest major version, search now searches ALL logins, not just the site on on. Is there a way to change this?

@mashby: That's how 1Password has always worked. It isn't a new thing. Hence "Search 1Password" text in the search field.

For example, if I want to log into my Gmail account, I would use search to limit the choices to just my "mashby" account. With the way it works now, typing in "mashby" shows me any login on any site where I used "mashby".

We haven't had many requests to do this kind of focused searching in the browser since it's fairly easy to type a few more characters to find what you're looking for, but the main 1Password app has had more detailed search options for years. Just click the "magnifying glass" icon in the search box there.

Otherwise, I'd suggest searching for something more than just "mashby", or giving your items more meaningful names, especially in cases where you know you'll have a lot that are similar.

• mashby
    mashby
    Community Member

@brenty -- thank you for the reply.

It's probably me, or something I'm doing wrong, but the latest version of the browser plugin has really added a LOT of friction for many of the logins that I use. Thankfully, I still have an older version of 1Password on a laptop, so below is a screenshot of what I'm talking about.

As you can see above, the search results return the options to login first and then all logins that match. With the latest version, it's just a pile of logins that you have to sift through to find what you're looking for. See below:

I hope that makes my question more clear. Yes, both versions always gave entire search results for 1Password but the old version listed the logins for the current site at the top. Is there anyway to get that feature back in settings?

Thanks in advance.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

As you can see above, the search results return the options to login first and then all logins that match. With the latest version, it's just a pile of logins that you have to sift through to find what you're looking for. See below:

@mashby: That's very different to what you described in your first post, so I appreciate the clarification and illustration. However, like 1Password 6 before it, 1Password 7 also shows you best matches for the current URL in a similar fashion (if superficially different looking):

I hope that makes my question more clear. Yes, both versions always gave entire search results for 1Password but the old version listed the logins for the current site at the top. Is there anyway to get that feature back in settings? Thanks in advance.

When I open 1Password mini here, exact matches for discussions.agilebits.com are shown at the top, with other matches for agilebits.com shown below. The only difference being that when searching, 1Password 7 shows results for the search:

We can certainly consider including matches for the current page there too, but that seems a bit redundant (since you can get that without searching at all, as in my first screenshot). And frankly we haven't had other requests for this behaviour. But we'll continue to evaluate this along with everyone else's feedback. Thanks for bringing it up! :)

• mashby
    mashby
    Community Member

@mashby: That's very different to what you described in your first post, so I appreciate the clarification and illustration.

Yeah, I figured I wasn't describing it correctly in the first post. My apologies.

I absolutely adore 1Password and tell everyone I know about how great it is and that they should use it. I've been using it since Version 2 and it's the first thing I install on a new machine. In fact, this is the first time I've posted in the forum since first buying the software back in 2008 :-)

That being said, I've clearly adored the filtering method in previous versions and didn't realize just how much until it was changed.

However, like 1Password 6 before it, 1Password 7 also shows you best matches for the current URL in a similar fashion (if superficially different looking):

That's true, except for cases where you have a lot of passwords for a particular site. Since pictures seem to tell a better story than my words, here's a few more screenshots. And my apologies for my screenshots. I couldn't style them as well as you.

1Password 7

This is the site that I have the most passwords for (since it's my day job) and as you can see in the following image, finding the login I need requires a bit of scrolling if it doesn't appear in the viewpane.

If I use the search feature, then the top result is for Apple World Today, not the site I'm on, and :

1Password 6

With the older version, my search shows the exact login I want at the top of the search results

Settings

I trigger both examples using CMD\ and when I look at the settings of each, I see 1Password 6 says its for "Fill login on current web page", where as 1Password 7 says "Fill login or Show 1Password", so I don't know if this part of my confusion as well.

The latest version has a two-pane window instead of the single-pane, so displaying the results the way you do currently makes total sense and I will attempt to adapt my muscle memory. However, if there were an option better find the login I'm looking for, I for one would jump for joy.

Respectfully.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2019

@mashby: Thank you so much! That's very helpful. Indeed, I'm not sure I would have understood your specific case without those screenshots. Thanks for not only your patience in working with me on this, but also the kind words, especially under the circumstances.

Regarding keyboard shortcuts, ⌘ \ is meant to either 1) fill the login for the current web page, if only one exists, 2) show all logins matching the current URL, if there are more than one, or 3) show 1Password mini with (if possible) logins matching the current context (say, Apple ID if you're using iTunes — this was not possible in 1Password 6 hence the description change you noted). ⌘ ⌥ \, on the other hand, is only meant to open 1Password mini, but it will, of course, show relevant information if it can. So, in your example, this will be pretty confusing, because the result for you will be similar either way.

I'm sorry I don't have a clear solution for your use case at this point. Frankly, it's not something we've accounted for because I'm not sure we've ever seen anything like it: a list of 23+ logins which are exact matches for the subdomain. We get a lot of feedback about logins for different subdomains, specifically a fair number of passionate folks wanted an option to treat logins for any subdomain equally, and that ended up causing a lot of confusion. Sort of the opposite of the problem you're having. And since this isn't something I've previously encountered, I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing. Are these logins all essentially for the same URL? Do they actually all have the same URL saved? I appreciate that may not be information you'd like to share publicly, so feel free to shoot us an email at support+extension@1password.com and post the Support ID here. I'm not sure this is something we can prioritize since it doesn't seem to be an issue that a lot of folks are running into, but I would like to make sure I understand this so we can at least take it into account as we develop future versions. Never know when a change could benefit you as well as others. :)

P.S: Bonus question: When you're searching in 1Password mini, do you have it set to "Search Major Fields" or "Search All Fields" (in the Settings "gear" menu)?

This discussion has been closed.