I got *attempt to write a readonly database* error on migrated encrypted mac.

Options
Phelippe
Phelippe
Community Member

I did migrated to new computer and I lost ability to edit and add passwords. The license is fine.

1Password Version: 7.0.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I got attempt to write a readonly database error on migreted encrypted mac.

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Phelippe,

Did you use Migration Assistant or Time Machine to perform the migration to the new computer? If so we have seen a few cases recently where doing so resulted in incorrect file system permissions being set on files important to 1Password. I’m sorry for the trouble. In order to best assist you with this I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/93961/i-got-attempt-to-write-a-readonly-database-error-on-migrated-encrypted-mac
    • Your forum username: Phelippe

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• Phelippe
    Phelippe
    Community Member
    Options

this was Migration Assistant + Time Machine Backup

I will send report.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018
    Options

Sounds good. Happy to take a look. :)

ref: MWZ-63794-216

• Phelippe
    Phelippe
    Community Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

No solution for now. Fallowing hint around permissions I am proceed with uninstall ( clean ) and install app.

... :( did not helped

• Phelippe
    Phelippe
    Community Member
    Options

Fix provided by email from support helped!

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018
    Options

I am glad that our support team was able to find a solution for you @Phelippe! Please let us know if you have any remaining questions or concerns.

ref: apple-1918

• JacksonMin
    JacksonMin
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem. I am in a family account. I wiped my computer and then used a time machine backup using migration assistant to get my apps and mac account back. However, it won't save my passwords and is giving me the same error.

Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,4
    System Version: macOS 10.13.6 (17G65)
    1p version: 7.0.7

• Ben
    Options

@JacksonMin

Please try these steps:

1. Restart your Mac and hold down Command+R keys until you Apple logo appears on the screen.
    2. Open Terminal from the Utilities menu.
    3. Type in resetpassword and hit enter / return. A Reset Password window will open.
    4. Select your username from the drop-down menu labeled Select the user account (NOT System Administrator/root).
    5. Click the Reset button at the bottom of the window in the Reset home folder permissions and ACLs section.
    6. Quit the Password Utility and go back to the main recovery screen.
    7. On your keyboard, press Cmd + Q and restart your computer (or select Apple logo > Restart from the menu bar). It's very important that you don't hold down the power button to exit the recovery session, or the ACL reset won't be performed.

Thanks.

Ben

• JacksonMin
    JacksonMin
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben I followed steps 1-3. In step 4 there was no dropdown menu, just the option to reset my user account, which I did. Step 5 no reset button, just an arrow. Step 6 I believe it automatically restarted. I finished the process the best I could. However, I am still receiving the same error.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2018
    Options

Thanks @JacksonMin. Please follow the instructions here to send us a diagnostic report. That way we’ll be able to provide more specific instructions.

Ben

ref: FEA-87214-723

• arthur001
    arthur001
    Community Member
    Options

i also have this issue ,and i sent my Diagnostics Reports.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@arthur001: Thanks for getting in touch! Unfortunately this can happen when the file permissions are incorrect, often due to moving the data from another Mac or user account.

Anyway, I've found your email, and I'll reply there shortly. :)

ref: GCY-97223-442

• leowang6688
    leowang6688
    Community Member
    Options

I also experienced this issue, support ID [#IIS-21511-948]. Please follow up, thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@leowang6688: Yep. You've also given ownership of some of 1Password's data files to another user account. Thanks for letting me know the Support ID. I'll get back to you via email shortly!

ref: IIS-21511-948

• Marcosi
    Marcosi
    Community Member
    Options

I am experiencing the same problem now after migrating to my new Mac and I can't find the ticket with the solution.

• slay
    slay
    Community Member
    Options

Hi I too am having this problem after restoring from a backup with Migration Assistant.
    Error reads "attempt to write a readonly database"

<3 plz help

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Marcosi: Please generate a diagnostic report so we can take a look:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@1password.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#KYM-82854-282]

If you’re reading this and you are not Marcosi, this Support ID is for Marcosi only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link it to our current conversation. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: KYM-82854-282

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@slay: Please generate a diagnostic report so we can take a look at your setup:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@1password.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#XYP-11635-871]

If you’re reading this and you are not slay, this Support ID is for slay only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link it to our current conversation. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: XYP-11635-871

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Anyone else having a similar issue should follow Ben's instructions above so we can help. Thanks!

• zebulon303
    zebulon303
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue after migrating to new Mac using Time Machine backup. Sent support email w/ diagnostic report:
    support ID is [#BWY-27965-992]

Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, I'll take a look and get back to you there shortly.

ref: BWY-27965-992

• adamprime
    adamprime
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue here after using Migration Assistant via time machine backup. Support email sent with diagnostic report, [#BSV-67767-318]. I haven't heard anything back beyond the initial auto-reply so if someone could take a look I would really appreciate it.

• adamprime
    adamprime
    Community Member
    Options

I found a solution, though not sure if it's the official one. I followed https://support.1password.com/starting-over/ to delete the local data, then on relaunching the app it picked up my account and reloaded the data. Everything is working fine now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@adamprime: Glad that helped! That will definitely work for folks who have all of their data in a 1Password.com account already. Just want to make sure people aren't nuking their data otherwise. :scream:

ref: BSV-67767-318

This discussion has been closed.