Primary vs. Personal Vaults

Kevver
Kevver
Community Member

I have both on my mobiles. On my mobile, Primary Vault says it's the one used for DropBox syncing. On the website (on my Mac), my Personal Vault is the only one I'm seeing, and it says it's my default for storing items. How do I get the most up to date information on either vault and to be the one that is syncing going forward? Also, I seem to have both 1password 6 and regular?? Confusing.

1Password Version: 6.8.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2018

@Kevver: Indeed, the Primary vault is a local vault on your device. If you want it sync'd to others, that needs to be configured. A Personal/Private vault, on the other hand, is part of a 1Password.com membership account, and its data will be available on any device where you sign into it automatically. If you're already subscribed to 1Password.com, it's best to make sure you have all of your data in that account and then remove any local vaults -- like Primary -- to avoid confusion. That way you'll have the same setup across all of your devices. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Kevver
    Kevver
    Community Member

Thanks, Brenty. So, on my phone, I have my Personal vault, which I guess as you say is part of my subscription, AND a Primary vault, which I must've got initially without having the subscription. The Primary one, however, is the one being synced to Dropbox. Also, at this time, I'm not sure which vault has the more up to date information.
    Is there a way to tell which one is most up to date, by item, or by overall recent changes to passwords, etc.?
    And if so, if one is more up to date than the other, how can I merge all the latest information/changes from my Primary Vault onto my Personal vault? And then get my Personal vault synced to DropBox instead of my Primary.
    Thoughts?
    Thank-you,

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, Brenty. So, on my phone, I have my Personal vault, which I guess as you say is part of my subscription, AND a Primary vault, which I must've got initially without having the subscription. The Primary one, however, is the one being synced to Dropbox.

@Kevver: Ah, that's it. Thank you!

Also, at this time, I'm not sure which vault has the more up to date information. Is there a way to tell which one is most up to date, by item, or by overall recent changes to passwords, etc.?

There isn't a way for me to tell you that, no. You'd need to see for yourself. In 1Password for Mac, it may be helpful to sort the items by date. That will tell you what's been changed recently in each vault.

And if so, if one is more up to date than the other, how can I merge all the latest information/changes from my Primary Vault onto my Personal vault? And then get my Personal vault synced to DropBox instead of my Primary.

There are a few things here: 1Password.com accounts don't involve Dropbox at all; you just sign into your account on each device to access the data you have stored there.

I'm not sure what you you have in mind by "merge", but it sounds like a bad idea, as you'd likely end up with a lot of duplicates. Why not just copy over the items you need from your Primary vault (sync'd with Dropbox) to your Personal vault (in your 1Password.com account)? Then you'd have everything in your account and could simply remove the Primary. Let me know.

• ulbn
    ulbn
    Community Member

How do I remove/delete the primary (local?) vault? I have deleted the accounts/information in it so it appears to be empty now. I cannot find a way to delete the primary vault. My personal vault contains the info I want to keep. Is the number of functions available limited presently since I am still in the "free trial period" for another two weeks?
    /B

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @ulbn! Sorry for the confusion. You can delete your Primary vault by selecting it in the Vault menu in your Mac's menubar (Vault > Switch to Vault > Primary), then clicking Vault > Delete Primary Vault. Hope that helps. :)

There are no limitations on what you can do with a 1password.com account during the trial period.

• Kevver
    Kevver
    Community Member

So I ended up just deleting my primary vault on all devices and now I can see and understand everything better thanks to 1Password 7. I get it now that I don’t need to sync when I have a paid subscription.
    Thanks all!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! Indeed, just one less thing you need to worry about. It sounds like you should be all set, but we're here if you need us. Have a great weekend! :chuffed:

• Hi @Tangible

Changing the names would be quite a leap at this point but we are indeed looking at something like what you've described in #2, as well as some other changes to make the migration process more smooth, particularly when migrating multiple devices.

Ben

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Tangible - to be clear, such a tool is not something we have available currently, and it's not imminently being released either. Future plans are just that: future plans, and for various reasons we don't announce release dates for updates or new features. If you've got both Personal and Primary then yes, working towards removing your Primary vault should be your goal, since it's no longer necessary (and hasn't been since the moment you created your 1password.com account).

Here's how to go about this:

1. Move any items in the Primary vault you want to keep into Personal
    2. Verify you have all the 1Password data you need in your account by signing into your account in your preferred browser at https://start.1password.com, and (presuming you're able to sign in successfully and you see what you would consider a complete and up-to-date copy of your data there)
    3. Remove the old Primary vault by clicking Preferences > Advanced in 1Password for Mac and UN-checking the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts."
    4. Then, on all other devices, follow these instructions to remove Primary and use your 1password.com account ("Personal") vault only.
  • Pedrosa
    Pedrosa
    Community Member

Hiya, apologies for hijacking this thread a sort of related query. I'm on the latest version of the mac and iOS apps (1password 7 on mac and v7.3.4 on iOS). I've set up my 1password.com subscription quite a while ago now and both my mac and iOS devices are logged in and all is great. The vaults I have are my own private vault and my mums vault where both sync between all devices (including my mums iOS device) without issue. I have no "primary" vaults as described in the posts above. However, I'm a little confused with some of the terminology. i.e. on the mac, when i go to preferences>sync it states my "primary" vault is syncing to iCloud....but I don't have a primary vault, but it is syncing as it states the last time it synced was x minutes ago. The question then is; what is this "primary" vault that's syncing to my iCloud? is this my private vault, my mums vault or some empty "primary" ghost vault (for want of a better description)? Should I change this to "none" rather than iCloud if no data is syncing because it is some sort of ghost vault?
    Also, and this is just to satisfy my own curiosity, I notice in the preferences>WLAN Server tab (on the mac app) where it states we can sync by running a WLAN server on the mac, which i know i don't need to do as all is syncing fine without it, but I notice that in the notes section underneath the tick box, it states that we should unlock our iPhone and select settings>sync to begin syncing, but when i open my iOS device, this setting doesn't exist! Is that because i'm not using a "primary" vault and that WLAN will only work with primary vaults (not user created vaults such as my private one or my mums vault)?
    Sorry for all the questions.
    Many thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Pedrosa - if you have a Sync tab in 1Password for Mac, then that means you have at least one local (standalone) vault. If you did not (in other words: if you had only one or more 1Password accounts), you would not see that Preference pane, because 1Password accounts sync automatically via the 1password.com servers.

I can't answer the "ghost vault" question, because I don't know what data you might have in which vaults. But if you click Preferences > Vaults, what do you see there? How many vaults are there, and what are their names? From your description, it sounds as if you have at least one standalone vault (likely "Primary", syncing via iCloud). Can you confirm?

• Pedrosa
    Pedrosa
    Community Member

Hi Lars
    Ah, yes, on my mac there is a "primary" vault there (unticked) which I don't use

• Pedrosa
    Pedrosa
    Community Member

OK, i've delete that "primary" vault by following the below instructions and now the sync and WLAN tabs have disappeared from the preferences window. :)

Remove the old Primary vault by clicking Preferences > Advanced in 1Password for Mac and UN-checking the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts."

This now matches the options i have on the iPhone (more or less) so all good.

Thanks very much for clearing that up Lars

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Pedrosa - thanks for the update. If you've got this empty vault, the question I have to ask is: why? If you're certain there's no data in it, and you're using a 1Password account for your data...why the standalone vault? If you don't know either, you can remove it by clicking Preferences > Advanced and UN-checking the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts."

BUT -- before you do this, make absolutely sure that you have all the credentials for your 1Password account: visit https://my.1password.com in a browser, and make sure you can sign in with your Master Password there. If you can, then go ahead and delete the Primary vault, on this Mac as well as any other devices it may be present on. That will leave you running only your 1Password account and its vaults, everywhere.

• Pedrosa
    Pedrosa
    Community Member

I actually thought i had, lol. but it looks like i didn't untick the "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts." option

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Pedrosa - so, I'm not entirely clear where we are now -- it looks even a bit as if our messages might have gotten out of order here? Were you able to delete the Primary vault from within 1Password for Mac? Or is it still there? If it is, you should still be able to use the previous instructions to remove it. Let me know where we are. :)

• Pedrosa
    Pedrosa
    Community Member

Hi Lars, yes, i did manage to delete it (i did mention this in one of my messages) and in my last message i was just letting you know why the primary vault was still there originally (because, while i got rid of all the contents, i hadn't unticked the "allow creation........" option to make it disappear as an option). Sorry for the confusion. Yes, i'm all good now and all questions have now been answered, lol. Thanks very much indeed for all your help Lars. Much appreciated :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thanks for the update! I'm glad to hear that all is well now, but if you need anything else w'ere here for you. :chuffed:

• dsc2101
    dsc2101
    Community Member
    edited December 2019

Hi there, Similar to OP, I have both a Personal and a Primary vault in my Android app. The Primary was from 1pass6 and syncs via Dropbox. On my Macbook, i have 1Password 7 with only my personal vault available through my subscription. I'd like to move passwords from Primary to Personal but there doesn't seem to be a way for me to do so on mobile. How do I import my old Primary vault from Dropbox to my Mac so that I can copy over the passwords that I'd like to move to my Personal vault? In the instructions I've found, they all say from the Mac app, go to Preferences > Sync and select Dropbox, but the Sync preference doesn't seem to exist anymore. Thank you for your help!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2019

@dsc2101:

I'd like to move passwords from Primary to Personal but there doesn't seem to be a way for me to do so on mobile.

You can certainly do this on mobile as well. Please follow these instructions on how to move items from the Primary vault to your Personal vault on your Android device.

• geekgirl54
    geekgirl54
    Community Member

I have a related question to the discussion on this thread, which the thread has only partially clarified for me. I have a 1Password7 paid account. I have both a "personal" vault, listed under my name in 1Password7, and a "primary" vault, listed under iCloud in 1Password7. It sounds like I have misunderstood which vault was syncing across devices -- I thought it was the "primary" iCloud vault, but from this discussion it sounds like it is actually the "personal" vault. Do I have that right? That seems to match what I am seeing in my phone, which only lists one vault called "personal."

Unfortunately I just spent 3 hours updating passwords to remove duplicates in the "primary" vault. So now I have passwords that do not match between "personal" and "primary". It sounds like I need to move the items from "primary" (which does not sync) to "personal" (which does sync). However, (1) I don't know which items I have updated (I went through from the top of the matching passwords list which was organized by the password), and (2) I have those same items with different passwords in "personal" so I will end up with duplicate items. What is my best process here?

• @geekgirl54

Primary - Would be a 3rd party sync such as Dropbox or iCloud or could be possibly non-syncing.
    Personal - Part of your membership and syncs through your 1Password account. Effortlessly, allowing all passwords on all devices that are connected to your account.

We generally recommend that people remove the Primary vault to prevent confusion, just as you experienced. The removing duplicates in your Primary vault is not for naught. You have a much cleaner set of data. I would recommend moving the data into your Personal vault. Then worry about the duplicates after the fact. Once the data move is complete, I would remove the Primary vault from your Mac.

Then as you have time, you can sift through the data in the Personal vault and be sure you have the most up to date data, with correct entries while culling what's old and outdated. I hope I haven't confused you. I said, Primary and Personal, so many times. I had to re-read it a few times to make sure I did not transpose the names. :)

Feel free to reach out if you need further assistance or clarification.

• geekgirl54
    geekgirl54
    Community Member

Thank you ag_tommy, this is helpful. I did a test "move" of one item from my Primary (non syncing iCloud) to my Personal (syncing) account, but it ended up with two identical items (the one that was originally in Personal plus the new one moved from Primary). That's super confusing. What is my best process here? I don't want to wholesale delete the items Primary as there may be some things that I added in the last few days that I don't want to lose. Archiving the Primary items would be OK. How should I proceed?

• bgryder47
    bgryder47
    Community Member

I created a new 1Password7 family account on my new Mac. I received emails
    about its successful creation, but I do not seem to have the standard vaults.

When I open the 1Password7 on my new Mac, all I see is a vault called Primary. This seems to be a version of my
    old 1password6 vault (from an older Mac). The upper left corner of the app window on my new Mac says "Primary On Dropbox",
    so I assume it was being backed-up on my Dropbox account.

But when I open my 1Password7 through the 1Password website, all I see is a vault called "Shared".

I have installed my family 1Password7 membership on my iPhone as well, and on the iPhone I see 3 vaults--- Private, Shared, and Primary (On Dropbox). But all my passwords on the iPhone seem to be in Primary.

How can I copy the data in my Primary vault into my Private vault if I cannot see them both on my new Mac?
    There was an answer for how to do this on Android; can I do this somehow on my iPhone? And then will this
    create Private vault on my Mac? And can I keep my old Primary vault to use on my old Mac?

Thanks for any help you can give.

• @geekgirl54

I think if I happened to be in your situation, I would:

1. Create a new vault and move all of your current Personal vault entries to it. It would become an archive of sorts.
    2. Then I would move all the Primary entries to the Personal
    3. This leaves you with both sets of data, and you can easily reference either vault should you need to do so. Until you can sort through the data.
    4. Remove that Primary Vault to prevent future issues

Create Vaults

• @bgryder47

I see we have an active conversation going via our ticket system. To prevent duplication of efforts, let's continue the discussion there. This also allows us to discuss details that may be private and away from the public forum, plus its a more dedicated line of communication. :)

ref: XZM-62642-462

• geekgirl54
    geekgirl54
    Community Member

Thank you ag_tommy, this seems to have worked well to do what I needed! The only thing left in my Personal account are two items "1Password Account Migration" which do not move between accounts. Since I'm not using that Primary vault anymore, I can safely delete Primary (and lose those account migration items), yes?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@geekgirl54 - you can indeed. The migration item is to tell other instances of 1Password that you've already migrated on a different device, so it doesn't try to re-migrate the same data a second time, leaving you with duplicated copies. Just delete the Primary vault if you are certain all your data is safely within your 1password.com vault (and you're sure you can sign into your 1password.com account). Click 1Password > Preferences > Advanced and UN-check the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts." That should do it! :)

This discussion has been closed.