Invited family member, now they see all of my private passwords

ehoskins
ehoskins
Community Member

I invited a family member, they accepted, I confirmed them. I set them up with their own account, their own secret key and their own password. Although I only used their own credentials, when I install 1Password 7 on their mac, I can see all of the passwords in my private vault. They should only have access to the shared vault. I am confused as to why this has happened. I've deleted the app and tried twice.

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: OS X 10.14.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• @ehoskins

Is the name of the vault they are seeing these items in “Private”? If they log in at https://my.1password.com/signin?a=new do they still see these items?

Ben

• ehoskins
    ehoskins
    Community Member

They do not see these items when logged in from the browser. But, they see my private folder listed under the heading "HOSKINS" in 1Password 7 for Mac. When I select "Manage Access" by clicking the ... button next to Private, it says "Private Only you can view and edit items in the vault".

• @ehoskins

Please select Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data from the 1Password for Mac lock screen and then have this person sign in using the same credentials that they used to sign in to my.1password.com.

Please note this will erase any 1Password data from their Mac.

Ben

• ehoskins
    ehoskins
    Community Member

I did that, and now it only shows their passwords (from Primary under ON MY MAC), but no access at all to the family account. I can't seem to find a way to log into the family account without using my master password. Using their password won't add the family account.

• ehoskins
    ehoskins
    Community Member

After resetting all 1Password Data, then deleting the app with appzapper, I re-installed using the information from the emergency pdf on the other machine. At that point, I could just see the other family member's passwords (but it was not linked to the family account). I then had to log into the family account from the Account menu (and it did require my main master password). This time, it was set up correctly, and I can no longer see my passwords from the other machine. I don't really know what the difference was this time, but it's working.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad to hear it! Indeed, the difference is that anyone using your account's login credentials will have access to all of the data you store there, so it's best to keep those to yourself and then invite your loved ones to setup their own accounts with a Master Password they choose and a Personal/private vault of their own which no one else can access. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.