To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

remove 2 step authentication from my account

Options

I can't log into my 1Password account, because I have two-step authentication enabled, which is configured with Authy (authenticator app). I restored my mac and lost the Authy configuration with 1Password, so I can't receive the verification codes. I paid for a membership and I need to recover my account or cancel the subscription. I have sent emails to support@1password.com and to support+urgent@1password.com and I still have not received a response. Please I really need help!!

my account that is still logged in is working ( this mac) but i cannot setup the app on my new imac at home...i need this authentication removed off my account please, or a QR code that actually works as when i try using authy with my QR code, it says invalid over and over

1Password Version: 7.1.2
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: OS X 10.13
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:remove 2 step authentication from my account

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I will leave AgileBits staff to give a full answer (which they will, but email responses can be slow, up to three days at worst, though usually much faster).

Meanwhile a quick thought that just might help. You say that you have a QR code but that Authy claims it is invalid. The way Authy and other 2FA apps work is that they are time-dependent. If the time setting on your device is off by more than about thirty seconds then the codes will be invalid. It is worth checking this, perhaps resetting the time in System Preferences.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2018
    Options

@kimberwhitehead: This is probably something we can help with, but as you can imagine there needs to be a thorough verification process for your security. After all, that was probably the point of you enabling this feature in the first place. Otherwise any yahoo out there could email us trying to get info about your account. We will get back to you via email as soon as possible to take you through the vetting process with the security team. Thanks for your patience.

However, even if you don't have access to the authenticator you setup for whatever reason, you could use a device that is already signed in, whether it’s one of the 1Password apps or a browser you’ve signed in with before. The code is only needed when signing into a new device/browser, so you could access your account on an existing device and disable it from there:

1. Click your name in the top right and select My Profile.
    2. Click More Options on the left and select Turn Off Two-Factor Authentication.

From there, you can also re-enable 2FA to get a new TOTP secret and set it up again. Just be sure to save a backup somewhere safe this time.

Finally, several authenticator apps have backup and recover options. Authy is one example of an app that allows you to recover your 2FA codes if you lose your phone. You can find their instructions here:

https://support.authy.com/hc/articles/115012672088-Restoring-Authy-Access-on-a-New-Lost-or-Inaccessible-Phone

But even if you don’t use Authy, it’s worth checking to see if your authenticator app has options available for recovery.

If you won't have access to the device where the authentication code is generated going forward though, and have no backups or an authorized browser to disable it, we'll go over that with you via email.

ref: ZIU-54525-843

• kimberwhitehead
    kimberwhitehead
    Community Member
    Options

i cant...get into the 1password account in my browser where i have to turn off the 2step. I have access to 1password on this macbook (desktop app) and on my iphone. But the iphone now repeatedly asks for the 6 digit code as does the browser when trying to log on there. If there is however a way to remove this from the desktop app..i have access and can do it if you tell me where to go as i have looked everywhere i cannot find the option in that or on my iphone..this feature seems to be in a browser only? if this is not the case...then please point me in the right direction and i can access my account there and do it...

• kimberwhitehead
    kimberwhitehead
    Community Member
    Options

also no i didnt realise or think to save my 1password as a backup on authy hence why i am messaging on here trying to get access to my account...otherwise i could use that ti get it and turn it off myself

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed, what I'm saying is that any browser where you've already signed into your account — like, when you setup two-factor authentication in the first place — will only require your Master Password to sign into now (unless you've cleared it or something). So you'd be able to disable two-factor authentication there. Anyway, I'll close this and we'll continue the conversation via email since I'll need you to answer those questions if that doesn't work for you.

This discussion has been closed.