Thoughts on 1Password X as an Electron app?

Options

At this point it seems clear that you have no intention of ever doing a native Linux desktop app (don't get me wrong, the CLI and 1PX extension are great as long as one maintains a 1P.com account), but with as much work and care that you have put into 1Password X, it's got me wondering if it couldn't be done as an Electron app which would allow it to be portable to all OSes.

You could even develop it into a fully standalone version that could work with local vaults, use global hotkeys, interaction with the browser extension, etc. It wouldn't replace the current desktop programs for Windows and Mac (in fact I'm not sure an Electron app could have the same system integration as a native program), but it could be an extra bonus for standalone licenses, or for Linux users we could purchase a standalone license for either Mac or Windows, and just use the 1PX Electron app as our desktop client. Granted, I and I'm sure all Linux users, would prefer our own native desktop client, but in the complete absence of one whether just "for now" or "forever", I think an Electron app would be a good compromise as long as it has the global shortcut for autofilling entries, and be updated to work with standalone vaults for people that would prefer a one-time purchase instead of an ongoing subscription cost.

I know an Electron app can do all of this because there is already one doing it, Enpass. It can work with a subscription, or standalone vaults, it has almost all of the features of 1Password (browser extension, secure notes, wallet, identities, password generator, software registrations, etc.), it can even import your .1pif format, getting all of the database, not just the logins like with a .csv export. In fact, it's only deficiency that kept me from switching over to it from 1Password is that it doesn't do multiple vaults yet (that's something they're working on for it's next major version, which may be out by now, it's been a few months since I last checked.) There is another Electron based password manager called Buttercup. It does have multiple vaults support, but not nearly as many features as 1Password or Enpass.

My point is, 1Password X as an Electron app could work and could be updated to have pretty much all of the functionality of your current Windows and Mac desktop clients, it could work with 1P.com accounts, or as a standalone, and you would simultaneously be providing a desktop client for your Linux users that would feel almost like a native client. I've currently been using 1P4 with wine but I'm about to upgrade to a 1P.com account so that I can use 1PX. It would be great if someday in the near future I could have a proper desktop client.

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Ubuntu 18.04.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Good morning, @jay_gunn. 👋 ☀️

1Password as an electron app is an interesting idea that we've toyed with for a while now. At the moment we've been having fun pushing the envelop with 1Password X and are quite pleased with the results. We have several ideas on how we can push things even further, and some of those may require us to break out of the sandbox provided by the browser. If and when that happens, an Electron app would be a natural choice. Time will tell. 🙂

Take care and enjoy your week!

++dave;

• jay_gunn
    jay_gunn
    Community Member
    Options

That sounds promising! I look forward to whatever you guys come up with.

• 🙂

This discussion has been closed.