1Password Sync with Tresorit?

Options
dramagold
dramagold
Community Member
edited October 2017 in Mac

Hello, for securiy reasons we don’t want to use dropbox or your 1password cloud sync.
We are allowed to sync data with Tresorit (www.tresorit.com).
I saw some threads for this topic, but no solution over the last years.
How is it, 1password? Will there be a solution?

Thanks. Michael.

Comments

• Hi @dramagold,

If Tresorit exposes the files to Finder on the Mac then 1Password for Mac should work fine with it. But we won't be adding support for it in 1Password for iOS or any apps that would require API access to Tresorit. We simply don't have the development cycles to add another sync type.

Rick

• dramagold
    dramagold
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Rick, thanks for your "sad" answer ;-)
    What about WLAN-Sync? Is it possible to sync an iMac, a Macbook Pro, an iPhone and an iPad with WLAN Sync?
    And if yes, how do I get from Internet-Sync to WLAN Sync?
    Thanks,
    Michael

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dramagold -- WLAN sync is based around a server-client model: the desktop Mac acts as the WLAN server, to which you can connect any number of iOS or even Android devices by means of wi-fi. What it can't do very easily is sync from one desktop instance of 1Password for Mac to another. So, if you're using 1Password on more than one desktop (or laptop) Mac, you'll need to use a different method of sync; either Dropbox or iCloud, or -- best of all -- our own 1password.com accounts. I know you said you'd prefer not to use a cloud-based method of sync, but there just aren't many choices if you want to keep multiple devices (especially across platforms) synced that aren't also cloud-based.

• Ben
    Options

In addition to what Lars said, I'd be very interested to hear what it is that makes Tresorit more palatable to you as a sync solution for 1Password than our 1Password.com service. Have you had a chance to read our 1Password Security Design White Paper?

Thanks. :)

Ben

• Nicolinix
    Nicolinix
    Community Member
    Options
    • 1 to Michales request. "We simply don't have the development cycles..." is maybe the wrong answer in the 21th century. Why do you don't improve the development cycle so you can add it?
  • Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @Nicolinix! Thanks for the suggestion, but I seriously doubt we'll be doing that. Our job isn't to provide the maximum number of possible sync options for users to choose from (all of which then have to be coded, understood and supported when users inevitably have problems with them), it's to provide the best password management experience we can. And yes, that includes sync -- which we've done: we've provided (on the Mac side) two 3rd party sync solutions that are cloud-based (iCloud and Dropbox) which we've extensively tested for compatibility. We've also coded by far the most reliable and easiest-to-use solution of all ourselves, the 1password.com server, purpose-built for syncing 1Password data exclusively. And we've also got WLAN sync and Folder Sync for users who prefer a local-only sync solution. If every one of those sync options is unacceptable for some reason, well, that's why there are multiple products out there for password management; we encourage everyone to find the option that works best for their specific situation. As long as people are not re-using the same password everywhere or resorting to yellow sticky notes, we'll be happy. Good luck in your search! :)

• Nicolinix
    Nicolinix
    Community Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

When I go through this forum I figure out that you spend much time to explain users the way of your thinking. Why not use the time to try to understand what users need and implement it? Maybe you have recognized I'm not the only one :(

Dropbox:

• Located in the US wich is useless for EU companies due to security law
    • also no Boxcryptor support from your site

iCloud:

• More worse - doesn't even have EU-US-Privacy Shields (!!)

1Password.eu:

• It is by far not the "best way to sync your data" as you tell on you advertisement. It makes a big mess with the attachments right at the beginning and loses attachments!!

Wlan sync

• I'm traveling. What if my macbook and iPhone are stolen/lost?

"As long as people are not re-using the same password everywhere or resorting to yellow sticky notes, we'll be happy." - WHHHAAATTTTT???? Is that really your thinking as a security company????????

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Nicolinix

Why not use the time to try to understand what users need...

We do. In fact, that's why we take the time to have this forum in the first place. What's not possible is to make every user happy all the time. When you have a significant-size user base, literally any decision you make will be greeted with enthusiasm by some users and opposed by others. So while we're happy for every bit of feedback we receive - even the negative bits, because they let us know where users stand and where we might be able to improve - we quite literally cannot say "implement it!" to every suggestion we receive.

No sync solution is perfect - for that matter, no software is perfect. You're quite right that WLAN sync means theft of your devices poses a more significant risk to you than it might if you were utilizing a cloud-based sync solution. It's also one of our least-used options...so when we didn't include it in 1Password 7 for Windows, users like you would likely not have cared at all - or possibly even noticed. Yet we've got a thread that's going on ten pages long in the Windows forum from users just as passionate as yourself, who insist that WLAN sync is the only way to use 1Password. It isn't...as you've helpfully pointed out.

1Password.eu is indeed the best way to sync your 1Password data. Attachments are not lost when using 1Password.eu because there are no attachments in 1Password.eu - they are converted to Documents. If you've had some trouble converting attachments to Documents, I'd be happy to assist...but that's not something you've mentioned so far.

• Nicolinix
    Nicolinix
    Community Member
    Options

I have pointed the issue about lost attachment in an other thread.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.