Android update breaks interop with 1Password6

ahupp
ahupp
Community Member

I paid for a family license of 1Password 3 on the Mac and then an upgrade to v6. On Android, I've paid (via the play store) for the Pro version of 1Password so I can add new logins. Now my android app has updated to 1Password 7. I cannot add any new entries without upgrading the password database, which will then (presumably) be incompatible with the version I've already paid for on Mac. From my perspective this is an unwanted mandatory update that breaks software I've already paid for.

I'm happy to pay for an update, but I don't like being forced to do so by a broken upgrade. I'm also really uncomfortable with the idea of subscribing to software that I depend on. What if you go out of business, or I have some financial problems and can't continue paying? That would break the software I depend on. I'd much rather pay (more) up front than have a continuous ongoing risk

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Android upgrade breaks use of 1password6

Comments

• @ahupp,

1Password 6 on the Mac supports the opvault format that 1Password 7 on your Android devices wants to upgrade it to.

You simply need to point it at the opvault file that the Android version saves to dropbox. You will do this by going to Preferences -> Sync on the Mac version and turn sync off, then switch it back on for dropbox and choose the opvault file to re-connect sync.

• ahupp
    ahupp
    Community Member

Thanks for the clarification. Sorry for jumping to the wrong conclusion about this.

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni

@ahupp On behalf of Rudy, you're very welcome! Let me know if you need any more help getting things happily in sync :)

• leggett
    leggett
    Community Member

This was super helpful. I was really nervous about disabling sync and also about one device overwriting the other. The Mac merged its changes with Android's beautifully.

• I'm very glad to hear that, @leggett!

This discussion has been closed.