Touch ID and Keychain reset

Options

Comments

• technolosophy
    technolosophy
    Community Member
    Options

I no longer see the option to use touch ID. This started happening after I recently had to reset the password on my Macbook Pro

Environment:

• Hardware: MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) - MacBookPro14,3
    • TouchID enabled at OS level
    • iCloud with Keychain enabled
    • App: 1Password 7 - Version 7.0.7 (70007000) - AgileBits Store w/ TouchID working

Here are the steps to reproduce:
    1) Press the Command and R keys during bootup to enter "Recovery Mode"
    2) Open the Terminal application and enter the command "resetpassword".
    3) Use your AppleID/iCloud to reset the password of your mac.
    4) Login to your mac with the new password.
    5) All icloud, browser logins and TouchID will be wiped out and you will need to re-enter your fingerprints and passwords for them.
    6) Open 1password, the TouchID option will be gone on the login screen
    7) In 1password preferences disable TouchID (it is still enabled from before you reset the password, I think this is the source of the bug)
    8) exit 1password completely using the widget in the menu bar
    9) restart the computer
    10) Open 1password preferences & ENABLE TouchID.
    11) logout of 1password
    12) open 1password, on the login screen you will NOT see the TouchID option.
    13) any combination of deleting fingerprints in the control panel, enable/disable touchID in 1Password does NOT fix the issue.

Hope this helps Agilebits find and fix the bug,

Marcos

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@technolosophy: We don't have any control over Touch ID, or the Secure Enclave where its secrets are stored; only Apple does. However, can you clarify? You're posting in an old discussion regarding iOS, but it sounds like you're referring to macOS exclusively.

• technolosophy
    technolosophy
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty,
    Thanks for the message. I am notifying you that 1Password has a bug in the way 1password is registering itself as a consumer of TouchID, specifically after a hard reset of the users identity due to lost password. Obviously, I am referring to MacOS, i gave you the entire environment. Perhaps you know of a better thread I should post in? Would you like me to make a new thread?

• rudy
    Options

@technolosophy,

If you move your login keychain aside in ~/Library/Keychains and allow the system to create a new one does the Touch ID option return to 1Password?

• krisgrove
    krisgrove
    Community Member
    Options

I am experiencing the same problem described by Marcos. The only difference is that I arrived at this point by resetting my default keychains from the Keychain Access Preferences. All permutations of disabling TouchID, uninstalling 1Password, rebooting, re-enabling TouchID, Re-installing 1Password, re-enabling 1Password TouchID result in the same behavior described above. The 1Password app behaves as if TouchID is not available. I have traded several emails with support and have received poor response times between emails (3 days) and had nothing useful in the way of support - in fact I'm not certain my previous responses were even read before sending something like "can you try reinstalling the 1Password Safari extension."

Mojave version 10.14 (18A391)
    MacBook Pro w/ Touch Bar (13-inch, 2017)
    1Password 7 version 7.2.1 (70201002) - AgileBits Store

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@krisgrove - please open Terminal (in your Utilities folder, inside the Applications folder), and copy/paste the following, but ONLY after you do a full, bootable backup of your entire hard drive:

sudo mv ~/Library/Keychains ~/Desktop

This will cause macOS to re-create your login keychain. Keep the previous one around for a while, as you may need to extract some data from it later, depending on what was in there. If this step doesn't work, then the next step would be reinstalling macOS itself.

• bash77
    bash77
    Community Member
    Options

I also have this problem
    Reinstalling MacOS is not considered
    touchID works correctly in macos and other applications
    tech support did not help

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2019
    Options

@bash77: As far as I can tell, Greg asked you for some information and you never replied to him. So I'm not sure how he could be expected to help.

If you already tried what Lars suggested, reinstalling the OS is the only other known way to resolve a Keychain/Secure Enclave mismatch. 1Password cannot modify any of that.

ref: EYE-34244-579

• bash77
    bash77
    Community Member
    Options

sorry, I am not ready to provide you with private information.
    repeat my actions, please:
    - i reseted key chain only (in mac os) and touchID not working in 1Password

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2019
    Options

@bash77: Greg didn't ask you for private information.

Anyway, if having macOS regenerate the Keychain does not work, and you're not able to reinstall the OS yourself, you will need to contact Apple for assistance with their hardware and software.

• bash77
    bash77
    Community Member
    Options

it worked ) thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bashy77 - excellent! I'm glad the posted instructions worked well for you, too. On behalf of brenty, you're quite welcome!

This discussion has been closed.