1PX not offering to fill

Hi,

when I sign up on a new website (no matter which one), 1PX does not offer me to fill the fields. The little 1P icon that appears inside of form fields only appears in password and email fields. No other fields are ever recognized, and this is true across a wider range of different websites. However, if I click on the 1P icon in the browser toolbar, switch to identities, select my identity and hit the "fill" button, all form fields on the website are filled out. So it does seem like 1PX is actually recognizing all the fields, but does not offer me that little icon in those fields.

I hope this is not by design (which would make no sense, given the icon does appear in password fields).

I tried this with the current stable version as well as the current beta (1.11.1), both behave the same.

macOS 10.14, Chrome 70.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.11.1
OS Version: macos 10.14
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cryptochrome: It would be helpful to have an example, but in general we don't want 1Password X putting an icon into every field on every page. Login forms are prioritized, and you can always open the 1Password X menu from the browser toolbar to select Identities or Credit Cards to fill. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member

Hm. Ok. I would expect 1P to help me fill all form fields. After all, there are corresponding entries in the 1P database (identities). Doesn't seem logical that 1P only offers to fill fields that are titled username or password. I find it confusing when clicking through form fields and 1P isn't offering me to fill them out. I am coming from Dashlane, and frankly, that did a much better job there. Whenever a website asked for my address, for example, Dashlane was ready to fill it in for me.

I guess this comes down to product philosophy, but I would kindly ask to give users the option to choose what they want - an unobtrusive 1P that only offers filling passwords, or a more helpful 1P that offers to fill other form fields as well. That way, if users find the little icon in form fields annoying, they could turn it off, and those who want more comfort and aren't bothered by the icon could benefit from easier form filling.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cryptochrome: I don't think we're going to make two (or more) different versions of the same app. And frankly I'm a bit confused by your comments. Maybe we're not talking about the same thing.

First, you can disable the inline 1Password icon in 1Password X settings:

To be clear, you can still fill from the 1Password toolbar icon. That just removes the icon from within webforms, in case you find it obtrusive at times.

And of course 1Password X does fill Identity and Credit Card information in addition to Login credentials. But as I mentioned it earlier, if there are specific sites where it isn't performing well, we'd really need to know what they are in order to see what we can do to improve it. Either way, we'll continue to make it smarter over time, but you're less likely to have your specific issues addressed if you won't share the details. :blush:

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member

I think we may be hitting a language barrier again :) Sorry about that.

I am not annoyed by the little icon, to the contrary. I want to see it in even more fields. This is not about any particular site where 1PX is not performing well, this is a general issue that I see happening accross the board. Let my try to explain.

Current situation:

I sign up for a new account on website ABC. Let's say it's a shopping website. When creating a new account, I get a form that asks me the usual stuff that shopping websites tend to ask. Things like street address, city, zip code, country, etc. - when I click on the form fields, I do not get the 1PX icon, even though it is turned on in the settings. So I click in the street form field, no icon. Then I click in the password form field, and there I get the icon. I click on it and let 1PX fill in a suggested password. I go back to the street form field. Still no icon. That is pretty inconsistent. I understand I can click on the toolbar icon to ask 1PX to fill that field, and that works. However, now I have to do two different things:

1. In the password field I get the icon and can fill in right from the field
    2. In the street field, I get no icon, so I have to go to the toolbar to ask it to fill

Do you see the inconsistency and how that could confuse users? I have to take two different steps to fill the same form.

So I am not really asking to create two different versions of 1PX. All I am asking is for more consistency when filling forms. And since you mentioned that you don't want to put the icon into every form field, I suggested to give the user a choice. Maybe an additional setting:

1. Icon in every form field, or
    2. Icon only in username/password fields

Sorry about my complicated way of describing this, but English is not my native language.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cryptochrome: If there's a misunderstanding, it's probably on me. Sorry about that! :lol:

I am not annoyed by the little icon, to the contrary. I want to see it in even more fields. This is not about any particular site where 1PX is not performing well, this is a general issue that I see happening accross the board. Let my try to explain.

Ah gotcha. Thank you for clarifying. Some folks want the opposite (hence the option), so I may have been predisposed to thinking that's what you meant.

In the password field I get the icon and can fill in right from the field
    In the street field, I get no icon, so I have to go to the toolbar to ask it to fill
    Do you see the inconsistency and how that could confuse users? I have to take two different steps to fill the same form.

Totally. That's traditionally how 1Password has worked since login filling is much more common, and we don't want to be too intrusive. But we're trying to make 1Password X offer to fill in more situations, like you describe.

So I am not really asking to create two different versions of 1PX. All I am asking is for more consistency when filling forms. And since you mentioned that you don't want to put the icon into every form field, I suggested to give the user a choice. Maybe an additional setting:
    Icon in every form field, or
    Icon only in username/password fields

We're always hesitant about adding yet more options, but that's a good suggestion. I think it would be better if we can make 1Password smart enough to not need something like that, but it's something we can consider.

Sorry about my complicated way of describing this, but English is not my native language.

Yeah, it isn't your English. It's great! (Probably more correct technically than mine!) It's just a confusing issue, due to the inconsistency you mention...

The problem is that websites are inherently inconsistent. Technically 1Password is very consistent, in that it works the same every time: if two pages are the same or very similar, it will behave the same on both. if it were that simple though, we'd be done. In reality, very few websites are designed the same way, and few support web standards properly. So we're always working on our filling logic to better deal with the inconsistent nature of the web.

In this case though, specifically with Credit Cards and Identities, we're taking a fairly conservative approach. I can't speak for you, for for me and many others, there's a very fine line between 1Password icons showing up everywhere I want them to, and showing up in way more places than I want. I think what you describe would be ideal for a lot of people, and it's something we'll strive for as we continue to develop our newest extension and filling technology. We just want to make sure that 1Password doesn't get in people's way, and that does happen from time to time. We'll keep at it. Thanks for the feedback! :)

This discussion has been closed.