Disaster!!! Family member's account and data got deleted after deleting an invitation.

Options
czmona
czmona
Community Member
edited October 2018 in Families

A family member found that his account and data got deleted. All I did was delete an "invitation waiting to be confirmed". I only did that because I thought it was a duplicate invitation. How come it still needs to be confirmed if he's been using 1password? There was no warning, no confirmation, nothing says, "if I do this, it will result in the account gets removed."

I recruited him to use 1password with him. He now lost access to years of work stored in the cloud secured with unique information with the only copy being stored in the vault that got deleted. I'm not sure if he can handle this and now I am worried about him hurting himself given that he's currently undergoing a major depression and facing a lot of challenges. As this has a lot to do with the work that he does, he might get fired as a result.

It looks like the bug of account being deleted after deleting invitations has been known for awhile, yet nothing was being done and no one was informed.

After some brief online research, the staff at 1password had been aware of the potential risk of losing ALL DATA associated with using family account since 2016. The company has yet to make sure the new user is aware that if someone, for any reason, gets dissociated from the family account, their data is GONE GONE GONE GONE GONE. Had I know, I'd never try to set up the family account in the first place.

I'm heart broken and furious beyond imagination.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• aegos
    aegos
    Community Member
    Options

How does this happens? Wow. Any news from 1 password?

• fritzophrenic
    fritzophrenic
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I should start by mentioning I'm just a user, not speaking for 1password.

The thread you link looks like an entirely different "problem" from yours. That other thread is about a family organizer deliberately deleting a family member's account and then being surprised when the account, well, got deleted. I'm frankly surprised they expected anything different to happen. If, hypothetically, you had access to delete a family member's Facebook account, would you expect their Facebook photos to remain on Facebook afterwards?

I'd personally be furious if deleting an account from 1password didn't delete my stored passwords in a reasonable time. If I'm deleting an account I expect a company to remove all information about me without me jumping through hoops to make it happen.

It looks like your problem occurred when you believed you were deleting an invitation, not an account. That could certainly be a problem. But I'm not familiar enough with the feature to know what could have gone wrong or whether there is any way to recover. I expect some 1password folks will respond soon. Hopefully there is something they can do about it, although after 5 days I'm not so sure. Have you tried the support email address?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@czmona: It looks like Laura and Jeff were able to help you already via email, so we'll continue the conversation there in case you need anything else. :)

ref: IQG-96645-532

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@aegos: Certainly it can be a bad thing to delete in some cases, but unfortunately we can't (reasonably) prevent 1Password users from deleting things if they want to. The confirmation process is important to ensure that you actually want to grant an invited person access. They will not be able to use any shared vaults until confirmed, but they will have access to their own Personal/Private vault of course, which sounds like what happened in this case.

I'm not sure if there's a solution in yours, but please reach out at support@1password.com from your account's registered email address so we can look into it. Post the Support ID you receive here and we'll get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.