Deep link to login items in shared vaults for native apps

We have very common use case where we need to refer to passwords stored in a shared vault that everyone involved have access to. Typically this happens over a Slack conversation and involves awkwardly naming the title of the item and the vault its stored in, and telling people to search for it.

A much better solution would be if it was possible to send a link to the item which would open in the native application (if the person has access to it, of course). Currently this seems to be possible to do with the web app, where each item indeed has its own URL, but as far as I can see there is no equivalent for the native apps (macOS, iOS, e.t.c).

Is this is a feature that is perhaps already available but that we've merely missed, or is it something that you might add someday? Is there any other recommended way of referring to password in shared vaults?

1Password Version: 6.8.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13
Sync Type: Teams

Comments

• Hi @danielpervan,

I don’t have a perfect solution to share here, but a couple things that may help are... Each item has a UUID that can be searched for using a URL scheme, like:

onepassword://search/UUID

The difficulty with this is locating that UUID. It isn’t super obvious in the interface, and isn’t available on all platforms (in fact it may only be available on Mac). You can also search by title this way, though that may be a bit more ‘fuzzy’ if you have multiple similarly named items:

onepassword://search/title

Those are the current solutions that are available. We may be able to do more in this regard in the future.

Ben

• danielpervan
    danielpervan
    Community Member
    edited March 2018

That's actually pretty close to what we needed. Obviously a hackier than optimal solution, but at least for our more tech savvy users this solves our problem.

I hope a more user friendly solution gets added in the future, but in the meantime we can probably use this.

In case someone stumbles upon this thread on Google or whatnot, the "Copy UUID" option can be enabled in the Mac client through Preferences -> Advanced -> Copy UUID

• Great. Hope it helps. I’ll pass the feedback along to the team that an easier more accessible option would be appreciated. :+1:

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

+1. It's not killing me that this doesn't exist, but if it did I would use it all the time. :smile:

• Hi @lmcm

Thanks for the feedback. Just to be sure I've done my due diligence, have you seen this recommendation above:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/416880/#Comment_416880

:)

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Hi @Ben! Yes, I saw that. Used it today in fact, so it's already been useful. :chuffed: I had to pull out my MacBook to do it though since I work day-to-day on Linux using 1Password X.

• Nice. :+1: Thanks for the feedback!

This discussion has been closed.