Lost access to 2FA (family account)

Chris83
Chris83
Community Member

Some time ago I enabled 2FA on my account. I use Microsoft Authenticator app and have signed in to 1P on a few different devices in the past and entering the 2FA code. Today I had to reset my work laptop and had to sign back in to 1P, when I looked at my 2FA app, the 1P token was missing (and a few others).

I have a family account, but I don't have another admin or someone with recovery permissions (shame on me)

Is there a possible chance to reset or remove the 2FA on my account. I can still access 1P desktop on my home PC and mobile device, but not on any new devices.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Chris83: I'm sorry to heat that. If you have locked yourself out of your 1Password.com account by not having the authentication code, we may be able to help, but it can a number of days to do so since there's a verification process and changes that need to be made to your account if everything checks out.

If you are temporarily away from the device where your authentication code is generated, it may be best to wait until you have access to that device again. alternatively, you could use a device that is already signed in, whether it’s one of the 1Password apps or a browser you’ve signed in with before. The code is only needed when signing into a new device/browser, so you could access your account on an existing device and disable it from there:

1. Click your name in the top right and select My Profile.
    2. Click More Options on the left and select Turn Off Two-Factor Authentication.

From there, you can also re-enable 2FA to get a new TOTP secret and set it up again. Just be sure to save a backup somewhere safe.

Finally, several authenticator apps have backup and recover options. Authy is one example of an app that allows you to recover your 2FA codes if you lose your phone. You can find their instructions here:

https://support.authy.com/hc/articles/115012672088-Restoring-Authy-Access-on-a-New-Lost-or-Inaccessible-Phone

But even if you don’t use Authy, it’s worth checking to see if your authenticator app has options available for recovery.

However, if you won't have access to the device where the authentication code is generated going forward, or any other devices you've already authorized with your 1Password.com account, please shoot us an email at support@1password.com and post the Support ID here so we can look into it.

This discussion has been closed.