How do I search for a particular password fragment using either web or 1Password X?

kode54
kode54
Community Member

I am on Linux, using 1Password X from Google Chrome, and I received notice from one of my credit reporting agencies that some passwords were compromised. They only offer me the first three and last single character of each password. I see no way to constrain the search in the web interface to passwords. I'm not even sure this applies to me, since I have a macOS export .1pif from 2013, and I can't find the passwords in that plaintext file that's on one of my encrypted volumes.

1Password Version: Web
Extension Version: X 1.11.0
OS Version: Kubuntu Linux 18.04.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kode54: I'm sorry to hear that you're dealing with such an unpleasant situation. I haven't heard of that one yet. Unfortunately 1Password X and the 1Password.com web interface do not support the kind of granular searching you'd need to do. It's definitely something we'd like to add in the future, but that doesn't help right now. Have you tried Watchtower? I would be shocked if the credit agency knows about compromised passwords that haveibeenpwnd.com does not, so if you have them saved in 1Password, that should find them for you.

• kode54
    kode54
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

The only thing it finds is some accounts that probably don't exist any more, and a web server that uses an intentionally weak password to protect something that doesn't have public facing links or index anyway. Whoever knows that one is welcome to attempt brute forcing a bunch of 80+ character file paths until they find something, though.

Incidentally, the web server, I don't control anyway, but it's no surprise that a dictionary word would end up in a password list.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yeah that makes sense. I'm sorry I don't have a better solution for you. We'll be making search more powerful in the future, but I can't say when that will be. But unfortunately 1Password can only help with this sort of thing if you have the login saved there.

This discussion has been closed.