Bug: Cannot use remapped control key

Options

I'm running Chromium on Debian testing with Cinnamon DE, though this is something I've found across Linux distros with both Chrome and Chromium.

I've got my Caps Lock key remapped to Control, which I've done by creating /etc/default/keyboard with the following contents:

# KEYBOARD CONFIGURATION FILE                                                                                           

# Consult the keyboard(5) manual page.                                                                                  

XKBMODEL="pc105"                                                                                                        
XKBLAYOUT="gb"                                                                                                          
XKBVARIANT=""                                                                                                           
XKBOPTIONS="caps:ctrl_modifier,altwin:swap_lalt_lwin"                                                                   

BACKSPACE="guess"  

Everything else on the system accepts the CapsLock > Ctrl behavior except 1PasswordX, and it would be nice if it would work here too!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.6.1
OS Version: Debian testing
Sync Type: 1 Password Teams

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@seandmr: Ah, that's interesting. I wonder if Chrome handles this differently. Are you seeing the same behaviour with other shortcuts in Chrome itself, if you remap the keys involved? I'm not sure we can do this explicitly in the extension, but maybe we can find some workaround.

• seandmr
    seandmr
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Chrome and Chromium both respect the key remap--it's why I keep getting thrown trying to activate 1Password, because I'm using the remapped Ctrl for opening/closing tabs, reopening the last closed tab, etc.

This has come up on Ubuntu Xenial as well, though that wasn't a frequent work environment so I never raised it.

Now that I think about it though, I've got the same issue on Windows 10. I can't remember what utility I've used to remap that Caps Lock off the top of my head though.

I don't have much use for Alt or Meta in Chrome/Chromium, so there's not much I can say about those remaps (honestly, probably could have left them out of the snippet, but hey).

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@seandmr: Are you talking about using Ctrl+Shift+X to open the 1Password X pop-up?

If so, this keyboard shortcut uses the chrome.commands API which means Chrome is entirely in control of detecting the keys that are pressed. I have seen some bug reports about remapped keys not working in Chrome in the past, so it's entirely possible this is still an issue for extensions.

Can you check to see if changing the keyboard shortcut by clicking "Change on the Extension page" link at the bottom of the 1Password X Settings page makes any difference?

-Beyer

• seandmr
    seandmr
    Community Member
    Options

@beyer I am talking about Ctrl + Shift + x; interestingly, on OS X (10.13.3) and Chrome 65.0.3325.181, Command when remapped to Alt on a PC layout keyboard, or Caps Lock when testing, works just fine. I'm using Karabiner Elements to remap.

It looks like it's something specific with the Chrome API on Linux/Windows?

If you still think this is a Chrome issue rather than the extension, lmk and I'll raise a bug/add comments to an existing one.

In the meantime, I'll try your workaround of changing the extension toggle shortcut..

• dteare
    Options

Thanks for the update, @seandmr. This definitely sounds like an issue with the Chrome chrome.commands API. As Beyer mention we have no control over the popup activation keyboard shortcuts. I wish we did! 😀

I'm curious if Beyer's suggestion worked for you as it was the exact same thing I was about to suggest before I saw he beat me to it. My theory is Chrome is not respecting your remapping when loading the default keyboard shortcut from our manifest file but I would hope that it would allow you to set it manually in the settings.

Please let us know.

++dave;

• seandmr
    seandmr
    Community Member
    Options

Quick update--after trying to update the trigger command in Chrome, it looks like Chrome doesn't accept further input from the keyboard once the remapped Ctrl key is depressed.

Trying to enter a new command, when hitting a remapped Ctrl first, leave the input field with just 'Ctrl' in it.

Entering a new command using the native Ctrl works fine, allowing me to enter 'Ctrl + Shift + X' or whatever.

Going to file a bug on Chromium for this.

• dteare
    Options

Thanks for the update, @seandmr! ❤️

Hopefully this will help others with similar issues as well.

• rboyerwork
    rboyerwork
    Community Member
    Options

Any update on this front? I've run into this on Linux Chrome Version 69.0.3497.100 and 1passwordx.

Likely relevant debug data:

$ setxkbmap -print
    xkb_keymap {
        xkb_keycodes  { include "evdev+aliases(qwerty)" };
        xkb_types     { include "complete"  };
        xkb_compat    { include "complete"  };
        xkb_symbols   { include "pc+us+inet(evdev)+altwin(meta_win)+ctrl(nocaps)"   };
        xkb_geometry  { include "pc(pc105)" };
    };

$ xmodmap 
    xmodmap:  up to 5 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):

shift       Shift_L (0x32),  Shift_R (0x3e)
    lock      
    control     Control_L (0x25),  Control_L (0x42),  Control_R (0x69)
    mod1        Alt_L (0x40),  Alt_R (0x6c)
    mod2        Num_Lock (0x4d)
    mod3      
    mod4        Meta_L (0x85),  Meta_R (0x86),  Meta_L (0xcd),  Super_L (0xce),  Hyper_L (0xcf)
    mod5        ISO_Level3_Shift (0x5c),  Mode_switch (0xcb)

• dserodio
    dserodio
    Community Member
    Options

FWIW, I use Ctrl+Comma for 1PasswordX on Firefox and have Caps Lock remapped to Control. CapsLock+Comma works fine (Firefox running on Ubuntu with Gnome). Let me know if there's any additional info that'd be helpful.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Will do @dserodio :smile:

@rboyerwork: I'm not aware of any change here and so I assuming the issue with the Chrome API is still present and affecting 1Password X. We'll see if @beyer has any new news.

This discussion has been closed.