1Password 7 and Safari Extension not working

coolage
coolage
Community Member

Hi. I'm using MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017) running OS 10.13.6 High Sierra. I purchased the 1Password app (in January of 2016) on my iPhone6s which is currently running IOS 11.4.1, and this syncs via iCloud with my MacBook. I primarily use 1Password extension on Safari 12.0. I recently added the 1Password extension to Opera ver. 56.0.3051.43
Since I installed 1Password on Opera the extension does not work anymore in Safari. In Safari the 1Password symbol is visible next to the URL-field, but pressing the button shows no reaction.
I already tried to uninstall an install the extension, without success.

Any Ideas where the problem could be?
Thanks

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: 7.2.1
OS Version: MAC OS 10.13.16
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

I ran into this, but it was easy to solve by going to Safari's Preferences, the Extensions tab, which it seems you have already done.

Apple has made some changes, which require some changes in 1PW. You should have seen an extension named 1PW 7.2.1 (same number as the main program) and that needs to be enabled. And if you had an old version of the extension (4.3.9, I think) uninstall it.

Do you see something else when you look at the Extensions tab?

• coolage
    coolage
    Community Member

Danco,
    Thanks for replying. I reviewed th extensions tab (screen shot enclosed) and it appears to be what you suggest, current and enabled. Do you have a next step?

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

That should be working. It can never harm to quit 1PW (completely, by opening 1PW and then ctlr-option-cmd-Q) and quit Safari and then restarting them. You should not need to restart the computer, but even that is a possible thing to try.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@coolage - I agree with @danco: I see no obvious reason why that shouldn't work, but you may want restart both applications or even your Mac before doing anything else. Let us know how (if) that works for you.

• coolage
    coolage
    Community Member

Thanks Lars. I have tried restarting Mac, the app, Safari and Opera. Still having the same problem. A second problem that began occurring is a popup from 1Password. And it literally happened while I was writing this to you. Screen shot below. I see that 1Password does not have any phone support, which makes the solution harder and more time consuming, Can you offer any additional suggestions?
    Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@coolage - well, that would certainly explain it -- thanks for including the screenshot. 1Password 7 for Mac is a new full version upgrade, and as such it requires either a 1password.com membership or the purchase of a new license for the new version. If you've not had the chance yet to do either of these things, you'll need to figure out which of those best suits your situation. If you're not certain, I'd recommend the 1password.com membership, for many reasons. Without one or the other of those things, however, 1Password 7 for Mac will not allow you to add, edit or delete any of your data (though of course you can export it if you like), and you can't use the browser extension. Hope that helps! :)

• coolage
    coolage
    Community Member

So I believe I now understand the situation. I now have an upgraded version of 1Password (7), and as a result, must decide between a one time license purchase or a subscription purpose. A few questions: If I select the license, will I be able to resume using the app on my mac, in the same manner I previously did? Will it continue to sync with my iPhone (11.4.1) My wife is running Mac OS 10.10.5 and has 1Password 6.6.8. Will she have to purchase a license as well, and what will trigger the need to do so?
    Thanks for your responses Lars.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@coolage - standalone licenses for 1Password are sold per-person, per-platform. That means you and your wife would EACH need a license for 1Password 7 for Mac. And if either or both of you needed to use 1Password on the Windows platform as well, you would each need one of those as well. Currently, version 7 of both 1Password for Mac and 1Password for Windows is on sale for $49.99, over 23% off the eventual full retail price of $64.99. I can't say for how much longer the discount will be available.

By contrast, a 1Password Families membership would allow you and your wife access to ALL our 1Password applications (Mac, Windows, iOS and Android) for $4.99/mo total ($59.88/yr).

Purchasing the standalone license will allow you to continue using 1Password in exactly the same manner you previously did, with local (standalone) data, and your choice of advanced, 3rd party sync methods (iCloud, Dropbox, WLAN).

• coolage
    coolage
    Community Member

Lars,
    OK. I have the time to tackle this, and would like to purchase the Stand Alone version, and have my existing passwords migrate. But I cannot find a location to purchase it. All I can find are subscription versions. Where can I go?
    Thank you

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2018

@coolage - just to be clear, if your wife wants to use 1Password 7 for Mac, she will need to be running at least macOS 10.12 (“Sierra”); that's the minimum requirement for version 7. If she's hardware-limited to OS X 10.10 ("Yosemite"), then she can (will have to) stay on 6.8.x.

For you, if you're using at least Sierra, then when you install 1Password 7 for Mac it should a) zip up the 1Password 6 for Mac app and leave it in your Applications folder (you can keep or delete it, but don't re-unzip it), b) import your 1Password 6 for Mac database and c) present you with the familiar lock screen. Entering your Master Password should show you the Purchase Options screen (assuming you don't already have either a 1password.com account or a license for version 7):

Just choose the license option as indicated in the above image, and you'll get the option to purchase a standalone license. Let me know if you have difficulties, or if that's not the screen you see.

This discussion has been closed.