Help Please - Mac Setup

Alphacenturi
Alphacenturi
Community Member

Hello,

I feel incredibly stupid having to write this as I am an experienced user. Yesterday an email account of mine was hacked so I have been chasing round changing passwords. I then purchased 1 password and installed it but the purchase as made on my Iphone. I no need to set it up on my Mac and my Ipad but for the life of me cannot see how to do it! I downloaded the app on the mac but when I open it I am asked to start a free trial which I do not want as am already signed up, or "used 1Password before" takes me to a screen that asks me to either enter account details manually or scan a code, neither of which I have any idea of! I am supposed to have a sign in address which is different from my email address? a secret key? Master password yes I do know that at least.

I have tried to find some sort of guide on the forum to setup additional devices but without luck so now I really do feel stupid. Also, something tht is quite worrying is that I can open the pp on my iphone but, when I look at the stored passwords they are all the old ones that I spent all day yesterday changing so this does not make sense either. I completely changed my apple id to a differnrt email address (username) and password yet on my iphone in 1password it shows the old version. Can anyone help as if not I cannot see how I can use this app, it really does not seem to be very user friendly ;o(

Lastly, in my hurry to join the forum I made a typo in my username, is there anyway I can change that?
Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this and an even bigger thank you if you an resolve my issues

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: high sierra 10.13.16
Sync Type: icloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2018

@alphacenturi: It sounds like you may be trying to login with a 1Password Account, but you will only have one if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. Instead, you can use 1Password without an account and sync your data from another device or create a new vault.

However, you may want to consider a 1Password.com membership, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits.

I'll send you a private message regarding the forum username. :)

• Alphacenturi
    Alphacenturi
    Community Member

Hello, thank you for your assistance and changing my username. I have looked at the options you gave me details of but I still think as an Apple user that I prefer to use iCloud as am familiar with this. Can you tell me what steps I need to follow to allow me to sync all my devices thru iCloud?

Many thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Alphacenturi - sure; we've actually got a great guide for setting up iCloud sync as well as figuring out problems with iCloud, if you run into trouble. Hope that helps! :)

• Alphacenturi
    Alphacenturi
    Community Member

Hello,

I think my problem originated because I installed the app on my phone 1st whereas with all the Apple devices I have (4) I should have installed on the iMac first and then synced acccross all devices. I am going to remove the app from iOS and start again.a one question before I start, I understand that 1pasword will create unique passwords for each site I visit this giving higher security. However, I usually rely on my memory if I need a password but do not have my device with me, say for instance if I was using a machine in someone else’s office, how would I manage if I don’t know the passwords?

Many thanks

Elizabeth

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Alphacenturi

However, I usually rely on my memory if I need a password but do not have my device with me, say for instance if I was using a machine in someone else’s office, how would I manage if I don’t know the passwords?

1Password is designed so you can "forget your passwords," as the front page of our website mentions. The idea is that most users are not frequently using unfamiliar devices such as in in other people's homes/workspaces, and most of us carry with us at least one device (mobile, usually) most of the time. If I'm, say, camping, I might not have my phone with me...but then, I wouldn't be needing my passwords anyway -- and if I did, there wouldn't be likely to be a device handy for me with internet connection to use.

I'd recommend carrying your phone with you at such times, and also being quite careful about which devices you don't own you enter your passwords into.

This discussion has been closed.