Feature request: dedicated category for real-world item serial numbers

Lifeisabeach
Lifeisabeach
Community Member

I searched the forums and saw that a dedicated "serial numbers" category has been requested several times over the past few years, but has yet to be implemented. At the moment, I've appropriated the "Databases" category to suit this need for myself, but it's a bit of a nuisance since I have to customize the field names every time I add something. I can't stress enough how useful having a section like this would be, especially for disaster victims. Having a convenient place to store the details of our real-world items (cars, appliances, stereos, and more) will help keep track of what we have and more easily make insurance claims if need be. Fields readily available should include the purchase date; warranty expiration date; company contact information; photos of said items; copies of receipts and even product manuals. Using the "Secure Notes" category has been suggested by staff in the past, but that's a half-measure at best and doesn't adequately address the needs here. Plus it just gets messy because you have a hodgepodge of stuff all lumped into one section if you are using "Notes" for, well, actual notes.

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• JohnFX
    JohnFX
    Community Member

+100

Exactly the same situation over here. I already use 1Password with my family as the shared inventory of a lot of important things like IDs, credit cards, etc. But it gets very annoying when we start trying to simply catalog important items serial numbers. We had a theft a few years ago and some bikes were stolen out of our garage. Finding the serial numbers off of old receipts and calling shops was a huge pain, so we’ve started trying to inventory all of our important/expensive items for safe keeping. We’re doing the same thing as you, shoving the data in as some other type but it’s really awkward like you said.

I’d like one of two features here:
    1. Exactly what OP asked for: some kind of “Item” that has a serial number field by default. I’d also include “model” in there.
    2. The ability to create our own types/categories with custom templates for fields. It seems like the app is sooo close to being able to do this since the fields are completely customizable as it is and all of the default types seem to be exactly that: a bunch of field templates with different icons.

The first would solve the annoying problem. The second would be a huge improvement and give me a lot more flexibility.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yeah, we don't have any plans to make some new "serial number" category. I'm not even sure what that would be, and no one would agree. :tongue: Also, everyone wants different "new categories" altogether. So instead we'd like to rearchitect 1Password in the future so that custom categories can be created. I can't say when that will be, since it's a lot of work behind the scenes and across 7 or so apps now, but it's something we'd like too. In the mean time, custom sections/fields in Secure Notes work really well for storing this kind of information. Cheers! :)

P.S: Good thing there's not an actual ballot, or you'd be in trouble for stuffing the box! :lol:

• Lifeisabeach
    Lifeisabeach
    Community Member

"P.S: Good thing there's not an actual ballot, or you'd be in trouble for stuffing the box! :lol:"

I'm sitting here scratching my head trying to decipher this. If you are implying that I and the second poster here are the same person, you are deeply mistaken.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'd say 100 votes constitutes stuffing the ballot box, but maybe that's just me. :tongue:

• Lifeisabeach
    Lifeisabeach
    Community Member

"I'd say 100 votes constitutes stuffing the ballot box, but maybe that's just me. :tongue:"

whoosh LOL! OK, I gotcha now. -100 to me for that flying over my head, so it evens out.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hey, no worries! I've been there. :lol:

This discussion has been closed.