intended purpose of the "passwords" category

Options
koraykupe
koraykupe
Community Member

Hi,
Actually, it makes sense at first, but I realized that most websites don't explain their password rules on forms. So, most of the time it gives an error after I generate a password with 1Password extension, and fill. The password is saved in "passwords" category of the 1Password vault. Actually, they are not saved if the password is valid. Instead, it offers to update the login item which is very good.

So, in what cases is it handy to use?

After a while, these invalid passwords are accumulated. What are your using habits?

What do you think?
How can it be improved?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@koraykupe - you're certainly welcome to delete old generated passwords if you already have the password captured within the login item it corresponds to. Sometimes, the Login record is not updated properly, and in such cases if we did not save a Password item as well, you'd have absolutely no record in 1Password of what you just changed your password to at the site in question, resulting in you being locked out of that site unless/until you could get the owners of the site to reset your account. This could range anywhere from annoying and time-consuming to flat-out disastrous, so we save every generated password unless it's specifically captured by a Login item as well. I'd just make ABSOLUTELY sure you're not deleting anything you can't replace or don't already have somewhere else. Hope that helps!

• koraykupe
    koraykupe
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the clarification!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.