Restore to old master password via Dropbox versioning

Options
psthoffman
psthoffman
Community Member

I forgot my Master Password.. Is it possible to restore to an old version Vault in Dropbox in order to use the previous Master Password?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:when master password

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @psthoffman! I'm sorry to hear about the lost Master Password :( For your privacy and security, your Master Password is known only by you. We cannot reset it for you and you cannot change it without entering the old one. There is also no "back door" to access your data without the Master Password. If there were, that would be a security hole that could be exploited to gain access to your secure information.

We have published a troubleshooting guide in our knowledgebase that will help you try to recover the password, or figure out what to do next: https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

You can indeed restore from a backup of 1Password data that was from a time when you used a previous Master Password that you can remember. Your backup locations may be different places, depending on what version you're using. Can you let us know what version of 1Password for Mac you're using?

• psthoffman
    psthoffman
    Community Member
    Options

mac version is 6.8.9
    iOS is 12

Thanks

• psthoffman
    psthoffman
    Community Member
    Options

Which files do i have to restore in Dropbox? I'm not able to restore the whole .opvault file. Dropbox display it as a folder not a single file.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@psthoffman - those "bands" are pieces of the OPVault design; none of them by themselves can be used to restore your data.

Fortunately, you don't have to use the actual OPVault in Dropbox to restore backups. If you have a standalone 1Password setup, open Preferences > Backups and you'll see all your backups that 1Password has been making for you, once a day. Choose the most-recent one from before you think you changed/forgot your Master Password, and you should be able to restore that data.

• psthoffman
    psthoffman
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you i've resolved the issue.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@psthoffman - great! Glad I was able to assist. :)

This discussion has been closed.