From 6 MAS Subscription to 7 Families

aplnub
aplnub
Community Member

A friend of mine is wanting to covert her existing 1Password account. She has v6.8.8 running on a Mac and the 1Password App on her iPhone 10S. She pays $4.37/month through the Mac App Store.

We are going to update her Mac to Mojave today so we can get v7 on there.

Next, she can log into her 1Password account via 1Password.com and we see her items in there. However, her iPhone app is empty even though the account is listed under Settings > 1Password Accounts. What could be wrong? We have deleted the iOS app and reinstalled with the same result.

What does she need to do to go from the MAS account to a Families account?

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• aplnub
    aplnub
    Community Member

We deleted the app on the phone and did another install and everything is fine with the phone. It is in sync where her account (my.1password.com)

Upgraded to Mojave.

Next, migrate to a family plan. What is the best way to go about this?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@aplnub: Glad to hear that you were able to get 1Password setup with the account on the iPhone! If the subscription is through APple, unfortunately there isn't a lot of flexibility there, so it isn't possible to switch account/plan types when paying through the App Store. But if you'll shoot us an email at sales@1password.com from the account's registered address we can help switch it over to billing through the website so that the plan can be managed there. Just post the Support ID received here so we can take a look. :)

• aplnub
    aplnub
    Community Member

Thank you. What is the best way to move data from the current account to a family account? The actual moving of data inside 1Password?

Purchase a family account and install V7 on the Mac.
    Link current my.1password.com account to Mac.
    Move items.
    Uninstall MAS version and cancel subscription to MAS version?
    Update account information on Phone?

That sound about right?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@aplnub: Hmm. I don't think so. I'm not sure I'm understanding your situation fully, so if you can clarify how you have things setup now that would help. But if you're setting up a 1Password.com membership account for the first time, we have an established process for migrating your existing data there:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

If, however, you already have an individual 1Password.com membership and just need to convert it to 1Password Families, you just need to invite your loved ones:

Share passwords in 1Password Families

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• aplnub
    aplnub
    Community Member

I need to convert an existing 1Password account to a 1Password Families account. I believe that is all that needs to happen at this point.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@aplnub: I guess my point was that I'm not sure you even have an account at this point. You will only have one if you already signed up for a 1Password.com membership subscription. Otherwise you won't have an account at all; you'd just be using the standalone 1Password app with a license on your device. Does that help?

• aplnub
    aplnub
    Community Member

Let me try to clarify.

She has an account she pays a monthly subscription for with 1Password through the MAS now. She can log into the account via your web site (my.1Password.com) or through the V6 app on her Mac, or on her iPhone XS. Everything works.

She wants to move to a family account. I am asking is there an easy way to upgrade to a family account since she is subscribed with a MAS account? I assumed she would be best served by purchasing a Family account (starting fresh) and move her items in her vaults over to that account and then cancel payment on her MAS subscription.

Does that help?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@aplnub: Thanks! Yeah, if it's an individual membership paid through Apple, it is not possible to change the account/plan type there. The account would need to be switched over to billing through the website, so that account/plan settings can be managed there directly. Shoot us an email at sales@1password.com from the account's registered address so we can help with that. Certainly she could create a brand new account, choose a family plan there, and then copy all of the data over; but that seems like extra work to me. Either way, happy to help. :)

• aplnub
    aplnub
    Community Member

I'll get with her tomorrow and have her contact you all through email. Thanks!!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good! If you post the Support ID received from the autoresponder here, I'll be glad to take a look. :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.