My extension stopped working. Can't reinstall without secret key? Can't find that either...

Options
Alliej
Alliej
Community Member

My browser extension (chrome) stopped working 2 days ago. Grayed out. Today, I attempted to reinstall (as I've done in the past to fix this problem). However, the extension was did not appear in my chrome extensions tab. Version 6 and 7 appear in my applications folder.

When I try to log into my account to reinstall either version, I'm asked for a secret key. I don't have this. In fact, the little tutorial on how to go there, does not match the 1Password I have on my Mac, nor my iphone. I don't have a preferences, not accounts tab -- therefore, no secret key.

AND, 1 password could not find my email address. I just re-created an account, but I've been using 1 password since 2012 ...this doesn't make any sense. Can you help?

Thanks,
Allison

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: 6.2.1
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: icloud
Referrer: forum-search:extension isn't working

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @Alliej! I'm sorry for the confusion. Not everyone who's been using 1Password for several years has an account. We mean something very specific when we say "account": it means, a 1password.com account that you've signed up for and are paying a monthly or annual subscription fee for. What many people who've been with us for a few years (before we had 1password.com accounts) have is a standalone license, to use 1Password on a single platform. Could that be you?

How you paid for and use 1Password is also separate from whether 1Password and the browser extension are working on your Mac. I notice you list your 1Password extension version as 6.2.1, which can't be the case, as there's never been such a thing. Is 6.2.1 perhaps your version of 1Password for Mac? If so, you should consider updating, that's significantly out of date. The latest version of the 1Password extension for Chrome is 4.7.2.90. You can open Extensions in Chrome and find out what version you have. It shouldn't just be randomly graying out, either. Can you verify for me what specific version of 1Password you're using (use the 1Password > About command), what version of the extension, and what specifically isn't working? Thanks.

• Alliej
    Alliej
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars, ooh this interesting...
    Yes! I paid for a standalone license and then renewed. I have it on my Mac and iphone. However, it no longer exists in my Chrome extensions AT ALL. I removed it yesterday from the brower, thinking I would just re-install, but I can't seem to do that. I have 1password 6 in my downloads and 7, but I can't install 7 without the secret key and account...
    The 6.2.1 is the version of my ipassword 6 on my Mac. Clicking About I see version 6.8.8

Perhaps because my version was outdated, it would gray out? This would happen periodically. I didn't like to update the app, because every time I did, it wouldn't connect to my sites. I'd usually have to re-start a couple of times and then I'd have it back. It got tiresome so I stopped (I know, I'm bad...eek!) Two days ago, the only options the extension would give me was to install. It was as if I suddenly didn't have 1password at all...

To be clear, 1password 6 app still works from my dock and on my phone. It's the extension that I miss so because it was so helpful for auto-populating log-ins and also saving new log-ins. Otherwise I have to do it manually and will often forget, or not get the chance when the "create new account" happens quickly.

From 1password6, I was able to reinstall today. However, it's still gray and says it does not recognize my browser. Screen shot attached.

Can you help?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Alliej - if 1Password > About says 6.8.8, then that's the version you have installed. At this point, however, to get a better idea of what might be going on with your specific setup, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject Line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#WAT-14993-842]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @Alliej only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: WAT-14993-842

• Alliej
    Alliej
    Community Member
    Options

Ok thank you! I just sent it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

• BrooklynSlim
    BrooklynSlim
    Community Member
    Options

@lars I am having the same issue. Can you give me an ID number for further support?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BrooklynSlim - before we go that route, let's make sure it's the same. Can you tell me:

1. What specific version of macOS you have installed?
    2. What specific version of 1Password for Mac you have installed?
    3. What specific version of your browser you have installed?
    4. What specific version of 1Password extension you have installed?

...along with any other information about what you're seeing that might help us solve the problem? What exactly isn't working the way you expect?

• BrooklynSlim
    BrooklynSlim
    Community Member
    Options

@lars here's the info you asked for:

macOS version: 10.14
    1Password for Mac version: I was running 6.8.8, it looks like the App store updated me to v7. This may be the problem
    Browser: Chrome 70.0.3538.77, Same problem in Safari v12.0
    1Password: v4.7.3.90

The extensions do not open a window when clicked. When I try to open the app from the menu bar, it is unresponsive. Now when I open the stand alone app, I get a welcome to 1Password window that invites me to subscribe. It appears that the past version has been over written on this machine.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BrooklynSlim - ah, thanks. The Mac App Store will not simply upgrade you from 6.8.8 to 1Password 7 for Mac, because they are two entirely separate items in the Mac App Store, separate SKUs. One is not an update of the other; it's an entirely new product -- which is why it's a separate item in the Mac App Store. Version 7 is the most recent version of 1Password for Mac, but either you or someone you allow access to your Mac had to have downloaded it in order to obtain it.

As a separate product, it also requires a new purchase for everyone. If you want a standalone license, they're currently $49.99, but you would need the version of 1Password 7 for Mac from us directly, as the Mac App Store version no longer includes a single-purchase option. The other, better option is a 1password.com membership. This is the best way to use 1Password currently, but the choice is yours. Your third option would be to Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), delete version 7, then click your name in the Mac App Store and go to the purchases section and re-download the older version of 1Password (NOT 1Password 7) and re-install it. Hope that helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.