How do I use categories in 1Password 7 for Mac?

cfhumble
cfhumble
Community Member

I used to know know how to do this. It was pretty easy to figure out. I can't for the life of me figure it out now that I'm on 7. It can't be that hard. But also really hard to find an answer. Thanks.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 7.2.1
OS Version: MacOS 10.14
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How do I use categories in 1Password 7 for Mac?

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@cfhumble - I'm not sure what you mean? Categories are pre-installed in 1Password 7 for Mac, just as they were in earlier versions. To create an item of a particular category, you click the plus button in the main 1Password window and you'll get a pop-up listing all the categories of item you can create. Choose whichever one you want to create, and you'll get a blank template of that Category-type. That's it.

The above holds true for all Categories except login items, which you should generally NOT create by clicking the plus button, but instead use the browser extension to capture the data for you. Hope that helps! :)

• cfhumble
    cfhumble
    Community Member

What I didn’t realize is that categories are only applicable when creating a new entry. Once you create it you can’t pick a category or move an item to a different category. They are really templates. For me, looks like Tags is a better organizational option. Got my brain around this now. Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@cfhumble - tags are a great organizational tool. But it's also important to put something into the proper category when you create it, as well, because those Categories have, as you've noticed, different fields that aren't interchangeable. You can't really make a Bank Account into a Passport or an Identity into a Login -- the same fields just aren't there. So go ahead and use tags to fine-tune your items' searchability...but make sure you're creating the proper type of item for whatever it is you're trying to add, at the beginning. Let us know if you have any questions! :)

• cfhumble
    cfhumble
    Community Member

Thanks again. I finally understand categories. It can be confusing. I’ll need to redo a few but not that many.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@cfhumble - you're quite welcome! Glad I was able to assist. :)

This discussion has been closed.