User interface irritations

I just installed 1Password v7 (on Windows 7) and, as I was afraid of, the UI is using the many of the same characteristics of Windows 10 UI that I just hate.
1. I really don't see the logic or reason there has to be SO MUCH white space in the screen. It is a waste of valuable screen real estate, makes it harder to organize multiple windows on a screen, and I have to scroll to h*ll and gone to see a (not so long) list of items.
2. I think is it a extremely poor UI design to have commands that are hidden until you mouse over an item. For example, in the main window with a password entry displayed on the right, you have to mouse over the username and password to see commands at the far right.
3. The command buttons are indistinguishable from the background. It is difficult to tell what is a button and not until you click it.

I know this is the way that Windows 10 UI and beyond has been specified, but I want to let developers know there's got to be a better way.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @DoctorBrown,

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us.

I just installed 1Password v7 (on Windows 7) and, as I was afraid of, the UI is using the many of the same characteristics of Windows 10 UI that I just hate.

I don't think there is a way we can please everyone with the same design, we've received far more positive feedback with this interface than we did with the old outdated interface.

With that said, we are continuing to refine the design in every update.

1. I really don't see the logic or reason there has to be SO MUCH white space in the screen. It is a waste of valuable screen real estate, makes it harder to organize multiple windows on a screen, and I have to scroll to h*ll and gone to see a (not so long) list of items.

It's designed to work with on various devices such as touch screen with your finger but it is fairly consistent with the rest of our 1Password apps as well.

You may see more of your items if you reduce the font size if that's what you want, the default font size is designed to match the default Windows 10 apps but if you reduce it a bit, it may give you more items. To reduce the font size, go to the View Menu > Zoom out.

1. I think is it a extremely poor UI design to have commands that are hidden until you mouse over an item. For example, in the main window with a password entry displayed on the right, you have to mouse over the username and password to see commands at the far right.

This has been improved in the next update, the commands will show right next to the field, not on the far right.

We will continue to polish this.

1. The command buttons are indistinguishable from the background. It is difficult to tell what is a button and not until you click it.

We are planning to change the background color of the field command when you hover over it.

• DoctorBrown
    DoctorBrown
    Community Member

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my feedback.

... we've received far more positive feedback with this interface than we did with the old outdated interface.

I see that much of the design is much less cluttered and simplified. So I can see why many people would like that. I'll have to spend more time with it to see if it still has all the functionality I was using.

It's designed to work with on various devices such as touch screen with your finger but it is fairly consistent with the rest of our 1Password apps as well.

And that is the rub as far as I'm concerned. Using an app on a large desktop screen with a keyboard and mouse (Oh so, old school...) is a much different experience than on a smaller touch screen phone or tablet. I can see being consistent but I see no need for such wasted space on the desktop screen. Half of the window is taken up by the details of the selected item, with the equivalent of double or triple spacing between the lines and margins taking up 1/4 of the remaining space. In the item list, one line (without the user name), with a smaller icon is more than enough space. If you feel the username display is important, have it be a popup tip, like a command hint.

This has been improved in the next update, the commands will show right next to the field, not on the far right.

I hope they are no longer hidden. THAT is what is really bad, not necessarily the placement. The background does change now, but you have to mouse over it to see it.

It's not just your apps that have this design philosophy. Most recently released apps intended tor Win 10 do it and it drives me crazy. It's one of the reasons I'm still on Win 7 (until they pry it from my hands).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I tend to agree with you on those points, but I do think it's important for us to support the widest range of devices and Windows versions, for compatibility, consistency, and business reasons. We'll continue to refine the design to try to strike the best balance though. Thanks for your feedback! :)

• Hi @DoctorBrown,

I hope they are no longer hidden. THAT is what is really bad, not necessarily the placement. The background does change now, but you have to mouse over it to see it.

No, they will be hidden until you hover over. We actually had a few builds a year ago where we were repeating the same command across all fields, it was the first negative feedback from a lot of people, so we changed to hover over and I think you're the first to provide a feedback on that in over a year.

Until we can come up with a better UI for this, we do not plan to change this hovering behavior. We also had no negative feedback on this on the website, 1Password for macOS and iOS as well. They're consistent like this.

I do understand why you feel like this, especially coming from 1Password 4 and Windows 7 but this is one UI that I did get used to in time.

This discussion has been closed.