Weird upgrade experience - Can't find other vault

Options
thhomj
thhomj
Community Member

I've recently upgraded from the standalone version 6 to standalone version 7. When starting version 7, I was told that two vaults exist on this Mac. Even the most recent one did have a incorrect "Updated at" (I've made changes a few days ago, but it said the last changes were over a month ago). Nevertheless it looked the all data was there when I opened version 7.

I would like to remove the other vault though. How can I find out where it is?

I see data in ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4 that was updated in the last few hours before I upgraded, but when I have 1Password 7 show where it stores the backups, it shows Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password.

Why is it 1Password4, when I've been using version 6? I've read on here that the form directory is used for the standalone version, while the later directory is for the version from the Mac App Store (https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/82540/where-does-1password-store-its-data)

So what's going on here?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Weird upgrade experience - Can't find other vault

Comments

• thhomj
    thhomj
    Community Member
    Options

It looks like the other vault was this: `~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data``

But why does it exist (already before I upgraded to version 7)? Why are there multiple versions of my vault and why has this one not been updated in over a year?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@thhomj - I'm sorry for the confusion. That's happening because at some point in the past, you've had both the 1Password version from our own downloads page AND the Mac App Store version. Owing to Apple's sandboxing rules, these two stored their data in different locations, as you've discovered. In 1Password for Mac 4 though 6, your data was stored at:

• for the Mac App Store version - ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data/OnePassword.sqlite
    • for the AgileBits store version - ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Data/OnePassword.sqlite

Whichever is the newer-seeming of these is going to be the one you used most recently/frequently; the other will be older and potentially removed/uninstalled by you at some point. You don't need to remove either one; they don't interfere with 1Password 7 for Mac at all, (which, by the way stores its data in the Group Containers location you mentioned).

If you've got your data successfully imported from the newer copy of 1Password 6 for Mac data into 1Password 7 for Mac, you should be all set. :)

• thhomj
    thhomj
    Community Member
    Options

I don't think I've ever had the Mac Store version installed. I've just double checked, I've never downloaded 1Password from the Mac App Store and there is also no receipt from Apple for it.

The other weird thing is that I've been using the AgileBits store version and also upgraded to AgileBit store version of version 7, but ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data/OnePassword.sqlite was updated in the past few days, while ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Data/OnePassword.sqlite hasn't been updated since mid-September.

So somehow that doesn't add up... I'm mostly trying to make sure nothing is off with my setup and avoid potential data-loss.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@thhomj - there is no way for that file location to exist (unless I suppose you manually created it yourself), if you never had the Mac App Store version of 1Password installed at some point in the past. That's why the initial run of OPM7 told you there were two vaults, also: because it needed to know which one you wanted to import into 1Password 7 for Mac.

It really doesn't matter, if your data is complete and up-to-date at this point, in 1Password 7 for Mac. Is it? If so, I'd recommend leaving things as they are. When you say the SQLite file in the Containers was "updated in the past few days," what do you mean? The file modification date was changed when viewed in Finder? Something else?

• thhomj
    thhomj
    Community Member
    Options

Ah! Sorry, I read your replies a bit too quickly and mixed up some of the paths. Haha. All seems good now. Thanks for the help :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@thhomj - hey, all's well that ends well. If you've got a complete and up-to-date copy of your 1Password data, inside a functioning copy of 1Password 7 for Mac, I'd call that a win. :)

This discussion has been closed.