Can't create a new vault

Options
JimH
JimH
Community Member

I have two vaults in use currently but cannot add a third one. I click on 'New Vault', enter its name and then click 'Create New vault' which results in the spinning wheel but that disappears without creating a new vault. I've tried creating a new vault from 'Account' and also from my home screen but without success.

Any suggestions please?

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: 7.2.1
OS Version: OS 10.13.6
Sync Type: 1password.com

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JimH - I'm sorry for the trouble! If you have a 1password.com account, do you have vault-creation privileges on the account? If it's your own, individual account, then you do have them (by definition). If you don't have such privileges, that will be why you can't create new vaults (though you still shouldn't experience crashing). Would you please restart your Mac, and try creating the vault again?

• JimH
    JimH
    Community Member
    Options

My 1PW account is for me only which should give me vault creation privileges and I don't suffer from crashing. Restarted my Mac and still cannot create a third vault. Any other thoughts please?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JimH - please Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), then restart it by double-clicking from your Applications folder. If you're still not able to create a new vault, then please sign into your 1password.com account in a browser (not the app), and see if you're able to create new vaults there (just click the new vault button in the upper left-hand corner of the main page). Let me know how that works for you.

• JimH
    JimH
    Community Member
    Options

The first method didn't help but signing into my 1password.com account in Safari browser revealed about 23 other vaults I have created recently none of which show in my 1PW app. Can you advise me how I can see all these vaults in my 1PW app and how to delete 22 of them.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JimH: You'd need to sign into that same 1Password.com account in the app, make sure that you do not have Travel Mode enabled, and not hide them from the All Vaults view.

• JimH
    JimH
    Community Member
    Options

I only have one 1password account and the 23 other vaults were created in that account - but cannot be seen by it. Strangely I cannot find the travel vault option which may be the cause of the problem. How do I activate / deactivate travel mode?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JimH - these instructions should help.

• JimH
    JimH
    Community Member
    Options

By accessing my 1PW account through my browser I discovered the 23 vaults I could not see in the app and all were set in travel mode. By turning off travel mode I could see them in the app and was able to delete all bar one so I now have the three vaults I need.

But .... I still cannot access travel mode in the app and suspect I may be using the wrong version. In Applications - I have 1PW 7.2 app; 1PW 7 app and 1PW app.zip. In Downloads - I have 1PW 7.2.1 pkg and in Waste - 1PW 2 Safariext. The version currently being used by the app is 7.2.1. A real mess! Could you please tell me how to delete what I don't need and activate the version I should be using. BTW, I do have a 1PW.com account

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JimH - I'm not sure what you mean by "access travel mode in the app." You're not supposed to be able to access Travel Mode inside 1Password 7 for Mac (or any other 1Password app); the entire point of it is that you sign into your account in a browser, before you travel, and turn Travel Mode on. Then, open the 1Password app on any devices you're traveling with, and any vaults you have not marked (also in a browser) as "Safe for travel" will be removed from your device(s) as soon as you do so. When you reach your destination, you can sign into your 1password.com account in a browser again and turn OFF Travel Mode. Once you've done that, all vaults will be restored to all devices.

In regard to the "mess," that doesn't seem all that uncommon or messy to me. 7.2.1 is the current version of 1Password for Mac. If you're using 7.2, you could update, but that's a minor issue. If you have two copies of 1Password 7, definitely remove one of them. The only way that could be the case would be if you installed one from the Mac App Store and the other from us. If I were you, I'd delete the one from the Mac App Store. The zipped copy, you can delete; it's not needed. 7.2.1.pkg is the 1Password installer for version 7.2.1 -- you can keep it if you want, or delete it. It, too, isn't needed (since you've already installed 1Password 7 for Mac, and also because you can always get the full installer again directly from our downloads page, if you need to. In your Mac's Trash, the .safariextz is the previous version's extension, which is not used in Safari 12. Version 7.2 of 1Password installs a new type of extension, and trashes the old one. Feel free to empty the trash. :) Let us know if you have any questions.

• JimH
    JimH
    Community Member
    Options

Great, all problems solved. many thanks to you and your colleagues

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JimH - you're quite welcome! Glad we were able to assist. :)

This discussion has been closed.