View Password History should let me revert the item to a previous password

lilyball
lilyball
Community Member

I just changed a password and let 1Password save the new password. After saving, I discovered that the site had an error and did not in fact update my password, so I had to go revert the item in 1Password. It seems the only way to do that is, when viewing (not editing) the item, use View Password History to copy the password, then edit it and manually paste the old password into the password field.

It would be nice if there was actually a way to just say "revert to this password". "View Password History" should be visible in the Edit interface, and it should have an extra option to reset back to the last password (but probably shouldn't offer to reset to any older password). This option should of course require confirmation.

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.14 (18A391)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@kballard - thanks for the suggestion, it's an interesting idea and I'll pass it along. I'm not sure how likely it is or how soon it might happen, since the current procedure is just a few clicks (1. Click Password History 2. Click "Copy" on previous password. 3. Click Edit on the record. 4. Click current password field 5. Paste copied password), and it's not that common an occurrence in the first place (for a site not to register a user's attempted password change). But I agree it would be a neat feature. Thanks again for bringing it up! :)

• lilyball
    lilyball
    Community Member

It's actually pretty common in my experience for a site to not register a user's attempted password change. The scenario here is when the generated password doesn't match the site's password requirements.

In the case that prompted this, I had 1Password generate a multi-word password, and the site rejected it because it had no capital letters.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@kballard - OK, thanks for letting me know your use-case. :)

This discussion has been closed.