Unable to login to 1 password for Chrome with license, not membership

hamandoph
hamandoph
Community Member

I bought 1 password a while ago.....license only. I reset my chrome settings to get rid of something and my extension went away. I can't login now because it wants a secret key which I do not have, of course, because I do not have a membership, but a license. How do I get my chrome extension logged in now?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @hamandoph,

You'll want to uninstall the extension you have installed "1Password X" and install "1Password extension (desktop app required)" from
    https://1password.com/downloads/mac/#browsers

• hamandoph
    hamandoph
    Community Member

I did this...it is not 1PasswordX...it is the desktop app required one. I actually have the app signed into and it still asks for the special code. You know, this really is a pain. It is more money for 1 Password by charging monthly for a members, but I only need the one account and this is taking up a lot of time trying to figure it out.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@hamandoph - the extension itself doesn't ask you for a Secret Key. Can you take a screenshot of the specific window/box you’re seeing with this message, and include it in a reply here? Don't include any personally-identifying information.

• hamandoph
    hamandoph
    Community Member

somehow after I logged out of chrome and back in it went back to the old way of working...only asking for master password so it works fine. Thanks.......

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@hamandoph - Thanks for the update. That's excellent news! I’d like to be able to say I’m glad I could help you get things squared away, but if the problem righted itself, I can’t hardly claim any credit for it. :-) However, around here, we’ve learned to call a win a win whether we had a hand in it or not.

Keep an eye on things and please let us know if the problem recurs or if there's anything further we can do to assist you. Otherwise, have a great week, and thanks for being a 1Password user!

• dfillion
    dfillion
    Community Member
    edited November 2018

I am having the same problem but it hasn't fixed itself. (I can't use the extension in Chrome on my Mac.) When I click on the extension, I can get to my logins and passwords but it won't fill. Instead I get a popup that requires me to login or subscribe to the membership. I'm not using iPasswordX and I've uninstalled and reinstalled the extension several times. Help! I sent an email to customer service a week ago and have had no reply...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dfillion - I'm sorry for the confusion. That'll be because 1Password 7 for Mac is an entirely new version of 1Password, which requires a new purchase of a standalone license for version 7 OR a 1password.com membership. Without one of those, 1Password 7 will be in Read Only mode, which means you won't be able to add/delete/edit any of your data, or use the browser extension. Hope that helps! At the popup, you should be able to choose either to create a 1password.com account, or purchase a license. Let us know if you have any questions. :)

• dfillion
    dfillion
    Community Member

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dfillion: Yep. Did you try clicking where it says "Need a license?" If you want to use 1Password 7, you'd either need to purchase one or get all of the apps as part of a 1Password.com membership. That would also allow you to use the 1Password desktop extension in your browser. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dfillion - not sure what posting only that screenshot was intended to convey, but if you meant it as "I can't get a license," I hope this helps:

This discussion has been closed.