1Password 6: How do I change the location for Backups?

Options
theconsultant
theconsultant
Community Member

When I go into 1Password 6 I can do backups, and they end up at:
/Users/davidr/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/1Password 2018-10-31 17_45_10 (1 profiles, 1014 items, 7 folders, 18 attachments).1p4_zip

But I really want them to end up at:
/Users/davidr/Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups/1Password 2018-10-30 101045 (1041 items).agilekeychain_zip

Hmm. I notice that the 1p4 backups were ones I requested to have done manually just now so that I could then click on "Show Files" as I had forgotten where the backups ended up.

The second location are from those that are backed up automatically.. up to yesterday. Today I had a problem with the main vault and fiddled around and got it back from Dropbox (where I sync to). I wonder if that changed things?!

Is there somewhere I can check the backup location? Some .plist file maybe?

Cheers,

Dave

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.8.9 (689001) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@theconsultant - no. Backup location is hard-coded, for several reasons. In 1Password 3 for Mac and earlier, that location was:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups/

In 1Password 4 for Mac through 1Password 6 for Mac, that location was:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/

In 1Password 7 for Mac, that location is:

~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups/

If you're using 1Password 6 for Mac, then your location is the second of those three. That's where both automatic backups made daily by 1Password as well as any manual ones you make using the File > Backup command will be located. Hope that helps! :)

• theconsultant
    theconsultant
    Community Member
    Options

Manual backups are going into: /Users/davidr/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/ which is where they are supposed to go. Great, thanks!

How often does the automatic backup happen? I do not see any, in either location, since I forced the backup to run, which was on Oct 31 17:45 EST.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@theconsultant - all backups go to the same location, the only difference is depending on what version and where you got it -- as I explained above. If you're using version 6 of 1Password for Mac, from our AgileBits site, then /Users/davidr/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/ is your backup location. Both automatic backups and any manual ones you make by clicking "Backup Now" will go into that location. You can check this in Preferences > Backup -- there is a window with the listing of your backups, and you can click "Show Files" to open the actual folder in Finder.

• theconsultant
    theconsultant
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Lars! I will keep an eye on things...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@theconsultant - sounds good. :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.