1Password window popup

tom_777
tom_777
Community Member

For the last 2 weeks whenever I click on one of my websites a window pops up from 1Password asking me to enter my password and then after I enter it I click 'Update Existing' This is very annoying and happens every day. For example when I access my banking website the window pops up asking for my 1Password password. Can you help me? Thanks Tom Capriotti

1Password Version: 7.00
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@tom_777 - I'm sorry for the trouble. When you say "click on one of my websites," what do you mean specifically? Are you double-clicking an item from the main window of 1Password for Mac? Something else? What specifically is occurring?

• tom_777
    tom_777
    Community Member

For example when I enter my banking website the 1Password window comes up and asks me to enter my 1Password login password

• tom_777
    tom_777
    Community Member

I am not even in 1Password I am on my web browser and when I enter a website the 1Password window comes up

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@tom_777 - the first thing I'd ask you to do would be restart your Mac. Do you know how long it's been since the last time you did that? If you restart your Mac, and the issue persists, I'd like you to take a screenshot of the message you’re seeing, and include it in a reply here.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It sounds like you’ve got your browser opening a password update page for a login you have saved in 1Password. So each time you open it it’s prompting you to update it. :)

• tom_777
    tom_777
    Community Member

Thanks, how do I resolve this

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@tom_777 - depends on how it's being opened; did you inadvertently set this as your homepage? Is it part of restored tabs you're opening each time? Please try using a different browser to see if the problem exists there as well.

• tom_777
    tom_777
    Community Member

How would I check to see if I inadvertently set it as my homepage on my Mac

• tom_777
    tom_777
    Community Member

I checked and my homepage is set to apple.com

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tom_777: Then I don't know what you're doing. Do you have any other tabs/windows open in the browser? It sounds like it may be related to whatever you're "clicking":

whenever I click on one of my websites a window pops up

What are you clicking? What is the "window" that opens?

• tom_777
    tom_777
    Community Member

I think I know why there is a problem On startup on my Mac 1Password7 comes up automatically and shows up top next to the Apple logo. What I do is exit out of it. Isn't there something in the settings that has to do with startup Thanks, Tom

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tom_777: 1Password should absolutely run in the background on startup. That's normal. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to use it in your browser. Can you please be more specific and answer my questions? I'd like to understand what's going on with your Mac too, but we're only going to get there with your cooperation. :)

• tom_777
    tom_777
    Community Member

When I enter a website most of the time the 1Password window pops up asking me to 'unlock' and enter my 1Password password

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tom_777: Can you give me a specific example, with the exact URL? I've just not seen or heard of that before.

• tom_777
    tom_777
    Community Member

For example when I enter my banking website and as soon as I enter the banking password the 1Password window pops up asking me to unlock I would enter the 1Password password but now I just click cancel and fortunately I can still enter my bank website

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tom_777: Thanks for clarifying. If there's another example besides something sensitive like your banking site, it may still be helpful to know the URL...

But it sounds like there may just be some confusion. If you enter credentials into a website, and 1Password does not already have those saved, it should offer to do so. If you believe it is doing this in error, we'll need to know the specifics so we can investigate and see if there's something we can improve. But it sounds like 1Password is doing what it is meant to.

• tom_777
    tom_777
    Community Member

Come to think of it many websites don't have the popup come up; maybe it is something because the banking website is o security and privacy conscious. I will continue to enter the 1Password password if it still comes up

• tom_777
    tom_777
    Community Member

I use CVS Caremark mail order for prescriptions I don't remember 1Password window pops up with that one

• tom_777
    tom_777
    Community Member

Just as I thought the banking website did have the 1Password window popup and the CVS Caremark website it did NOT

• tom_777
    tom_777
    Community Member

I will continue on and consider this issue resolved. Thanks for your help and your time. Tom

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tom_777: Just to clarify, do you have the login credentials for the bank saved in 1Password already?

• tom_777
    tom_777
    Community Member

yes I do

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Then the only thing I can think of is that the website is using an odd form which 1Password is misunderstanding. But that's just a guess since I haven't seen it. If you'd be willing to share it via email or private message, please let me know.

This discussion has been closed.