1PW asks if I want to update when I haven't changed anything

tgbunzini
tgbunzini
Community Member

Using iMac and MacBook Pro running latest OS (10.14.1) 1PW 7.2.1. This started a week or so ago. I login to long established accounts and 1PW fills and logs me in and then askes if I want to update or create new and nothing (PW or username or web site) has changed. I decline to change. It is annoying to be asked when nothing has changed.

Is there a fix?

Regards,
Bill

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:update existing

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@tgbunzini - I'm sorry for the trouble. Did something change in your system around that time? Updates to either macOS or 1Password or your browser? Please try this in a different browser with the 1Password extension installed, and see if the behavior is the same. Also: can you recall when the last time you restarted your Mac was?

• tgbunzini
    tgbunzini
    Community Member

Lars:
    I cannot associate the issue with an update or changes to the system. I am using Chrome but will test on Safari.

Its been maybe a day or two since last restart, not more than 3 days. Thanks for the ideas

Bill

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@tgbunzini - let me know what happens with Safari! :)

• tgbunzini
    tgbunzini
    Community Member

Lars:
    I cannot associate the issue with an update or changes to the system. I am using Chrome but will test on Safari.

Its been maybe a day or two since last restart, not more than 3 days. Thanks for the ideas

Bill

• tgbunzini
    tgbunzini
    Community Member

Lars:

First use of 1PW on Safari failed.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@tgbunzini - thanks for the legwork taking that screenshot. That's not a 1Password prompt, it's a Safari prompt. When you have 1Password installed, we recommend you turn off your browsers' built-in password manager. Every modern browser has a rudimentary password manager built into it; they've had to develop such things in recent years because all of us now have dozens if not hundreds of accounts at various websites, from our banks to Facebook to email accounts to...well, you already know. Browser developers have included a password manager because without one, using the web becomes problematic - and not everyone has (or even knows about!) 1Password -- though we're working on that. ;)

Anyway, please disable your various browsers' built-in password managers.

• tgbunzini
    tgbunzini
    Community Member

Lars:

Bill

• tgbunzini
    tgbunzini
    Community Member

Lars

Thanks for your time. As a Mac user since 1989 I am very embarrassed I did not catch that.

Bill

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@tgbunzini - hey, don't feel embarrassed. I do this all day, five days a week, and if I spent my time counting up all the "duh" moments I have, I'd never get anything else done. :)

Plus, anyone with a Bill the Cat avatar is OK in my book! Thphphthpbhthpth!

• Lifeisabeach
    Lifeisabeach
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue here, for about a week now. 1Password keeps prompting me to save/update the login for websites that I log into using the macOS Keychain. The problem only stops if I open the 1Password application and unlock that. I can't think of any specific changes to my system. I'm on macOS 10.14.1 and 1Password 7.2.1. The problem started well after installing 10.14 and before the .1 update.

And no, I don't want to disable the Keychain. Sometimes it prompts me to save a password when 1Password doesn't, or update one when 1P doesn't. The vice versa is true. I haven't HAD to disable it in the past and shouldn't have to now.

• Lifeisabeach
    Lifeisabeach
    Community Member

I forgot to add.... rebooting doesn't help. Also, using Safari 12.0.1.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Lifeisabeach - I'm afraid I don't have any solutions for you: this is expected behavior. If you have two password managers installed and active, you will get prompts from both of them, assuming they're functioning as designed, when you enter and submit login information on a webpage. Unless you want to UNcheck the box in Preferences > Browsers marked "Detect new usernames and passwords, and offer to save them" -- that would allow you to only manually save entered password data, using these instructions for manual saving, and only when you wanted to -- but you'd have to remember to do these steps, instead of simply pushing return or clicking "login" and having the prompt from 1Password appear. Other than that, if you have two active password managers (ANY two), you will get both of them offering to save Login items for you, most of the time.

• Lifeisabeach
    Lifeisabeach
    Community Member

But that only recently started. It didn't do that up until a week ago. I've been using 1P for a few years now and it has NEVER done this before and is NOT expected behavior, at least from me.

• Lifeisabeach
    Lifeisabeach
    Community Member

I did a little more experimenting. I have the same issue on another Mac running 10.14.1, but do NOT have the problem on a third running 10.13.6. Both have 1P 7.2.1 and both were freshly rebooted before recreating the steps to ensure I was on even footing in my test. I mentioned I started having the issue a week or so ago, but it's possible I only "noticed" it around then and has been around since the upgrade to Mojave 10.14.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Lifeisabeach - I'm not entirely sure I'm clear on exactly what the systems you're using are. Does the 10.13.6 system where this is NOT happening use Safari 12? What version of 1Password does it have installed, specifically?

• Lifeisabeach
    Lifeisabeach
    Community Member

The 10.13.6 system is running Safari 12.0 and 1Password 7.1.2 (same on all 3 Macs). The others have Safari 12.0.1, which was only released about 8 days ago. I'm fairly certain this problem was around shortly before that.

I'm a little confused about my 10.13.6 system. I'm showing no updates available, yet 12.0.1 is available for High Sierra per Apple's website. I'll manually update that after looking into it more later this week when I have time and test to see if that "triggers" the problem.

Oh, one last thing.... aha! The Safari extension is 7.2.1 on the Mojave systems (exhibiting the "buggy" behavior), but is 4.7.3 on the High Sierra system (functioning as "the users" have come to expect). That's interesting. I would have thought the extension was updated on the older system also when I upgraded. I'll update and test that out also when I get a chance.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Lifeisabeach - we're all in a bit of a transition period just now: Apple introduced a seismic change in Safari when they released version 12. In it, they retired the older .safariextz-style extensions in favor of a new, more-secure Safari App Extension model. SAEs are built-into the app they're distributed with, so they don't require you to use the Safari Extensions Gallery or download a separate extension from the developer. For the moment, Safari 12 will work with either type of extension, but that won't be the case for long, as Apple have already disallowed user-installed extensions (like what you get from a developer), and will be shuttering the Safari Extensions Gallery at the end of this year, approximately.

So, for 1Password for Mac version 7.2, we officially made the switch ourselves; 7.1.2 ships as-is, just like our previous versions have, and you need the external 1Password extension for Safari, but version 7.2 ships with the entirely new SAE, and requires no external extension.

• Lifeisabeach
    Lifeisabeach
    Community Member

Quick correction to my last post. 1Password is 7.2.1 on the Mojave Macs, not 7.1.2. The High Sierra Mac has 7.1.2. It shows as no update available and I assumed the Mojave Macs had the same version. Or maybe I did double-check and brain farted with the inverted numbers there. shrug But this begs the question: is 7.2 and onwards only available for Mojave?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Lifeisabeach

1Password is 7.2.1 on the Mojave Macs, not 7.1.2. The High Sierra Mac has 7.1.2. It shows as no update available

This is correct. If you have a Mac that's still on macOS 10.13 (“High Sierra”), 7.1.2 is the last release the auto-updater will show you. The reason for this is Safari 12's new extension type (Safari App Extension). macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) comes shipped with Safari 12, but it's still an optional install on High Sierra. So there's no guarantee people still using High Sierra will have upgraded to Safari 12 yet, and since 7.2 is the version of 1Password for Mac where we switched from the older-style extension to the new one that's designed for Safari 12, if we auto-updated High Sierra users to 7.2 who were still using Safari 11, 1Password would immediately no longer work in their browser (because it had the new extension, not the one compatible with Safari 11 and earlier).

this begs the question: is 7.2 and onwards only available for Mojave?

No. But it DOES only work with Safari 12. If you download 7.2+, it will not work with Safari 11 or earlier. Does that make sense?

• Lifeisabeach
    Lifeisabeach
    Community Member

Makes perfect sense here.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• Lifeisabeach
    Lifeisabeach
    Community Member

I don't know when this was fixed, but I noticed today that 1Password is now working again as desired. It is no longer asking me to update a login entered using Keychain when it is identical to what 1Password already has.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad to hear it! Thanks for letting us know. We're here if you need anything else. Have a great weekend! :)

• Lifeisabeach
    Lifeisabeach
    Community Member

Well here I am on a "clean" reinstall of Catalina (I had to wipe and reinstall everything from scratch due to a few bugs), and the behavior is back. Oddly, it was fine on Catalina when I simply did an upgrade over Mojave. I wonder what triggered it to stop previously.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Lifeisabeach:

Are you still using two passwords managers at the same time (1Password and the built-in Safari password manager)?

• Lifeisabeach
    Lifeisabeach
    Community Member

Yes, I am, was before, and never stopped using both.

• Okay. Unfortunately that isn't a supported configuration (never has been). It is great that it happened to be working for you up until recently, but attempting to use multiple password managers is known to cause conflicts. The only thing we could recommend at this point would be discontinuing the use of the password manager built into Safari.

Ben

• Lifeisabeach
    Lifeisabeach
    Community Member

I'm not going to do that. Having Keychain as a safety net is, IMO, an important approach to safeguarding one's data. "Don't put all of your eggs in one basket." Well with any luck, my installation of 1Password will eventually regain sentience and start behaving as desired once again.

• That's certainly your prerogative, but we won't be able to help with issues that arise as a result.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Keychain isn't any kind of safety net though because there's no export facility, though 1Password offers that. Something to keep in mind. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.